1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Long Nose Gar Tips ???

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by captivecasualties, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Looking for some tips on cleaning some long nose gar skulls. I currently have around 15 that someone gave me and I attempted one with my beetles but they seemed to show very little to no attention in the skull, could anyone expand on how they have cleaned them?
    Thanks

2. ghoulybrainz

ghoulybrainz New Member

NH
    if they wont go for the skulls you can try maceration, in the archives theres a million posts on it, tutorials, and pictures of everyones set ups :)

3. Thanks, I have been told by many to not macerate fish skulls. I have a setup already because i know the process and macerate others just not fish. Ill give it a try since I have quite a few.

4. Raphite01

Raphite01 New Member

I have a large alligator gar head that I macerated. Much of the skull was cartilage and I now have a formidable pile of bones that are completely unrecognizable to me (I have no experience with fish). It's sitting in a box while I continue to muster the ambition to tackle the reassembly project.

I *think* I remember reading on here about someone preparing a shark by gradually pouring scalding water over it and manually scraping away flesh, and actually retaining all the cartilage, but I'm uncertain without doing a search.

5. 689

689 Well-Known Member

I was told that some one was successful using oxidation method in cleaning one.now i dont know if it was true.but the photo showed a complete gar skull,it was yellow due to him not degreasing which i think you can do and still be successfull.also has any one tried cold water maceration/ alcohol? If you have a few skulls.submerge half using one method wile the other is still intact will help keep things together if the other side goes to crap plus you will have the side as reference. Good luck.

6. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

I second what Nina is saying. You can finish with acetone and if you want to whiten a method I have used on delicate skulls is to place it into a vented plastic container that has a cover wrap the skull in a good quality paper towels then carefully place the skull in the Plastic container. saturate the towel with 27% peroxide add maybe 1/4" to replenish any that may evaporate. Check it every day or so to see if it's gotten white enough.