1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unusual problem with deer just mounted

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by outdoorsman264, Dec 17, 2014.

1. outdoorsman264

outdoorsman264 New Member

I just mounted a deer and the problem is I am seeing is lot hair all over thats just sticking up all over the mount. My process is I used Krowtann Whitetail formula which all use on all my mounts. Also the hair seems to be looser than normal. Had some slippage in spots when taxi the cape in place. The only thing i can think of during the soaking process of the pickle I went away from the shop for like 2 days when it was soaking and didnt stir the tan like it recommends and change position of the hide for 2 days. Other than that I followed the process to T. I used this process before and cape before mounted up nicely. This being only thing i did different. So I read somewhere that might acid burned the cape in places if wasnt turned. Is that sound right? Also the mount at my personal residence and 1hr from my shop and the mount on 2 day of drying( got bagged now). So my cape set gel at shop and thought hair gel and placing screen/ carding material over the spots and shooting couple staples in. When cape dries will this realign the hair follicle in correct position? Also will hair gel damage the cape? Thanks for help sorry so long

2. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

I have used gallons of krowtan with not one single issue. I would bet your problem did not originate from the lack of agitation. Although not desirable. The basic solution is a strong pickle and should have eliminated any and all bacteria that would lead to slip. If you started with an iffy cape and dropped it in a properly mixed krowtan solution it would eliminate all bacteria.

my guess is the following:
    solution wasn't mixed right or cape was left wet on a work bench too long. The biggest thing is to stop pulling the hair out. And allow it dry with good air flow.

3. Jake L

Jake L New Member

I've used Krowtann for about a yr or 2 & had no problems...couple of things to ask...1st might seem dumb but did you shake the bottle of krowtann before you added it to the water? It has to be thoroughly mixed...2nd did you leave it in the neutralizing solution longer than 30 min? Leaving it too long can cause issues also...just a thought.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Post a picture, hair is not suppose to lay flat, slicked down on the form. Is it single hairs, small patches of hair?

5. outdoorsman264

I would post pic of the problem area but everytime i try post says file size is to big and not familiar with how upload pic on here

6. I had that problem years ago on a cape tanned with the stuff and it never did stay down. Good luck tried everything, clay, gel, and carding.

7. outdoorsman264

I did shake the bottle Jake and didnt leave in neutralize longer than it said to do. Thanks though for ideas

8. Jake L

Jake L New Member

Ok again it was just a thought...I was able to do a couple of test runs on scrap hides & the 1st time I didn't shake the bottle & had a very poor tan...2nd time I didn't pay attention while neutralizing & the hair was loose in some places & stiff almost brittle in others...didn't make those mistakes again...after that zero problems

9. outdoorsman264

Going gel and card tonight.....anyone seen this first hand please let me know. Even applying gel the hair wants to raise up on its own like i havent even applied anything . Atleast wish could put my finger on the problem.

10. Your cape was most likely slipping when you put it in the Krowtann.

11. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Yes I have seen it, the hair will fall right out in the areas where the hair is curled up. You will probably not get it to lay down no matter what you do to it.

I have had the same issue with the Whitetail formula, I will only use the original formula now.

12. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

use photobucket to upload your pics. or you can send them to me and ill post for you.

13. IMNTM

IMNTM Southern Wildlife Art Taxidermy

I have had similar issues a few times. I don't think your not moving the cape has anything to do with it especially if you were a couple days into the process. Your slippage has to be from pre-tan issue. I had a cape that had been mishandle & after mounting had individual hairs sticking up in many places as it dryed. I hair gelled them with out carding & fixed them fine. Also have seen what I call swirls or cow likes a few times on cape I felt were a little crowded in the vat. Again I hair gelled them heavily & carded them to remedy them. I was unable to ajust the follicle itself but by only litely brushing off the shine or stiffness of the gel they repaired passably. I think you will be fine gelling them carding where you need to, letting it dry & hitting them again if needed when dry.

14. outdoorsman264

The slippage the more I think about it could have happen before I got it. The deer was brought out of state so maybe while it was be moved it was ill handled. I just hate it if it was something I did. And if it was wish i knew what it was to keep from happening again. I will try post pics off of photobucket like suggested later this evening.

15. outdoorsman264

http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/JasonBosak/library/Taxidermy

16. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I agree with John, it was probably on its way to ruin before you started.

17. jorgy

jorgy Member

Well you didn't post much of a picture but from what I can see that mount belongs in the trash. It appears the hide is five times larger than the form. Im not going to sugar coat it, you need training. If the hide is too lose the hair will stick up, but that appears to be the least of the concerns with what I can see in the picture