1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New Member from Texas

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Lyle Clakley, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Lyle Clakley

Lyle Clakley New Member

Hello All!

My name is Lyle and I'm from Bullard, Tx. I have developed and interest in taxidermy after a few bad experiences with work I've had done. I am one of those people who think they can "do it better" ! :D I have major attention to detail sometimes to much that is slows me down in things i try to get done, but my finished products usually turn out good. That being said I would like to get into taxidermy for the joy of mounting my own birds and eventually taking a few birds for others. I'd like to get your opinions on some hands on training resources here in Texas. I'd like to take a weeks vacation and take a beginners course. To get me started off on the right foot. Thanks in advance for any input and cudos on a great sight. Have a blessed day!

2. Sprigman

Sprigman Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,354865.0.html

I recommend you call Matt or send him a PM. He's in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and will work around your schedule.

3. Lyle Clakley

Lyle Clakley New Member

thank you very much pm sent

4. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Welcome to the community Lyle, you will learn a lot here. From Germany,

Rainer.

5. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

Welcome. Best advice I could give you is read and take in as much info as you can. Don't be afraid to ask questions. A lot over very talented guys and gals on here that are always willing to help out.

6. Lyle Clakley

Lyle Clakley New Member

Thanks fellas. Do you have any specific literature that you'd recommend that directly relates to waterfowl taxidermy? In other words " the one book every taxidermist should have" type deal.

7. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Prairie Wings! That one book helped me more than any other book. Of course, no amount of self learning will beat someone showing/teaching you.

8. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Good luck Lyle
    Dan

9. Jake L

Jake L New Member

X2 on what Brooke said...I got mine during the summer off of eBay...some of the best money spent...I would also say Breakthrough Finishing Waterfowl JMO it's what I've been using & it's easy to read & understand

10. wings II

wings II New Member

Hello Lyle :) - welcome to the bird forums!

First, I'd like to thank my friend Tim for the recommendation - much appreciated Sir.

Lyle, what I always recommend to someone contemplating getting into avian taxidermy is to first order a kit and "mount" a duck or two (you can use a video or watch something on YouTube) on your own BEFORE you spend your hard-earned money on training or supplies or equipment. You can order a duck mounting kit from the sponsors of this site: WASCO or McKenzie.

Generally I've found that folks that mount a bird up on their own will either say, "I will never do that again!" or "I can't wait to do that again!"

When y'all are out hunting during the second half try to shoot some divers like ring necks or redheads or puddlers like gadwalls or widgeon. These would be some good birds to try your hand at it.

Then if you still are excited about mounting waterfowl I would love to have you up for your beginners course. :) -Matt

11. Lyle Clakley

Lyle Clakley New Member

Thanks Matt! , First let me say that Ive see your work first hand and it amazing. You did several sea ducks for my good friend cory smith. I would love to take a beginners course and have already ordered a kit and plan to give it a shot. I just wanted to get my name on the list soon as I'm sure your courses fill up quick.

12. wings II

wings II New Member

Lyle, I'm going to be donating three days of training to support the United Taxidermists Association and the winner will be able to take home a bird and a finished habitat base. This may be a good option for you as you can not only take a mount home but you will get a complete overview of what an avian taxidermist does. :) click on the link below.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,378060.msg2530461.html#msg2530461