1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I need dead mount ideas / finished

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Samson, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Samson

Samson New Member

Hello birdlovers! Maybe someone can help me a bit. I did this stone marten dead mount a while ago and always wanted to add a second or third animal to it. First I wanted to add a polecat but now I decided a bird would be nice. BUT WHAT BIRD? :-\
    I have currently in my freezer: Woodcock, Pheasant (male+female), Crow (hooded+rook), Hungarian Partridge, Starling, European Jay, Magpie, Wood Pigeon, Mallard (male+female), Greenwing teal (male+female), Coot. I can't decide what to add to this mount. It is not easy to say what bird would have the best size and would compliment the whole piece with it's feather colours. Am I overthinking it? I don't know ::)
    Please help me decide. ;D
    Greetings, Karin

Attached Files:

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Re: I need dead mount ideas

I would lean towards a crow and or coot. Reasons are, the black will stand out from the coat and you just don't see many of either in dead mounts. If I had each specimen in hand I would probably just hang them , one at a time, and see which one really grabbed my attention.

3. Samson

Samson New Member

Thank you for your quick reply Jim. I thought to about the possibility to hunt both animals on one day. A dove and a marten live both in the woods, the coot is on a lake. Would that make it unlikely? Also should I hang the bird by the neck or the feet?
    Greetings, Karin

4. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio

I prefer them hanging by their feet. Usually when you want a bird for the wall you do everything to keep from touching feathers a lot and if hanging hang by their feet. Hanging from the neck can pull feathers out. I really like the crow idea Jim threw out. If your going for a third you could do a dove.

5. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

as the marten is a woodsy type critter, I would do the crow too (not a waterfowl)
    the black color would look nice :)

6. Crowkiller

Crowkiller Member

Ohio

The European Jay would really look great with this mount .the colors of the Jay would compliment it nicely.I think probably 2 would be needed for balance.

7. Samson

Samson New Member

Thank you all for the nice replies!
    I will take 2 crows out of my freezer and hang them on the mount to see what crow looks better. Hooded crow has grey on the back and belly, it could also look nice.
    Magpie is out of the question because of the floppy, long tail (at least when hanging head down). European jay may be to colourfull but I will hang one to the black crow and see if it looks good with one black crow and one jay. So, crow it is then. ;D
    Thank you all for the help in deciding what to add to this dead mount.
    Greetings, Karin

8. An_SEC_Cheerleader

An_SEC_Cheerleader New Member

A little late to the party, but I would definitely stick to terrestrial birds. When I first saw the pic you posted, I instantly thought "woodlands". Whether you decide to go with a crow, jay, or something else similar, I think that it's going to look lovely when you're finished!

9. Samson

Samson New Member

Yes, I also came to the realisation that a duck would not fit. It will be a bird from the Woods, mostly I lean towards crow now.
    Thank you for the reply Cheerleader.
    Greetings, Karin

10. Samson

Samson New Member

I'm back!
    It took a lot of time but I made my decision today and mounted the hooded crow. It is drying now, but I'm very pleased how the mount turned out. Maybe I will hang a wooden birdcall on it too..... ::)

This may be my last mount, because I get hand surgery in a few days and I don't know yet, if I will be able to continue Taxidermy after both my hands get surgery. :'(
    Wish me luck.

Greetings, Karin

Attached Files:

11. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Good luck with your surgery, Karin !!!
    I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Dan

12. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

Silver pheasant would pop,bit more colour or a quail.

13. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Wünsche Dir gutes Gelingen und einen reibungslosen Verlauf Deiner OP und 100% Genesung.
    Liebe Grüße und alles Gute, Rainer.
    ( I wish you good luck and a smooth course of your OP and 100% recovery.
    Greetings and best wishes, Rainer. )

14. Samson

Samson New Member

Thank you all for the replies and the kind words.
    I will post some of my work from last year, when I can't do nothing but sit around with my hand after surgery. ;)

Greetings, Karin

15. That matched perfectly and is absolutely delightful! Looks very realistic!

Also where did you get that crow? All we have here are solid black but I really love the coloring on that!!!

16. Samson

Samson New Member

The hooded crows are very common here. I only need to go for a walk and in 5 minutes I can count at least 5-15 crows with that colour ;D
    This one got shot because it killed the baby chickens of a hunter. Bad day for the crow, good day for me.
    Since this is my last mount for at least a half year, this crow decided, it would be a good joke to squirt eye fluid all over my face as I skinned it out. Eeeew, what a nice present at last.
    Stay save.
    Greetings, Karin