1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help with antler repair

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by K1976g, Dec 21, 2014.

1. K1976g

K1976g New Member

My brother shot a 9 point deer with g3 broken off. I am going to do a European mount for him. And he asked if I could fix the broken antler. I told him I will look into it to see if I can learn how. So far I see that you need to drill into the antler , place wire in there , then sculpt with epoxy sculp then stain? What type of wire works best and what's the best epoxy sculp? Any tips would be greatly appreciated !! I'm wanting to learn taxidermy as a second career. So I am thankful for any help! Also what would be the average charge for antler repair and europian mount? I won't be charging my brother just wondering for future reference ?

2. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

Check the tutorial section. I think Cole did a nice tutorial on antler repair...easy yet effective.

Kevin

3. K1976g

K1976g New Member

I'll ck it out! Thank you !

4. outdoorsalways

outdoorsalways New Member

My last repair i used a cleaned up welding rod. I've used epoxy sculpt before but was turned unto "fix-it" epoxy. it was a little easier to sand.

5. butterbean

butterbean New Member

Fix-it woked best for me to.Lots good pictures in the tutorial,helped me a bunch.

6. K1976g

K1976g New Member

Awesome! Thank you!

7. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

I use a softer wire twisted tight together and epoxied in your drilled hole. Then fix with fixit sculpt. Might also find an antler shed with the right size tip and drill and epoxy it on and save a lot of sculpting.

8. I use a 10 AWG wire down the center of antler. I then use .040" wire around the outside. I drill four small homes around the larger center hole, like a 5 on a dice. I epoxy the wires and rod and let dry. Then I wrap the wires around the rod in opposite directions. Once that is done I bondo the repair, pressing the bondo between the wires and smooth by hand. Then when dry I use sculpt epoxy with a little bass belly white paint mixed in and shape as desired. Once dry I sand by hand, seal, and brush on paint. Good idea is to make antler molds to get the bumps and recesses along the antler. Then use your mold to make the impressions in the sculpt epoxied areas. Hope that made sense.