1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Christmas Mounts

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Yes it's not a problem

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Yes but it's stressful getting them done on time and I tell myself no next year!

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. I say I'll try but no promises

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  4. No absolutely not. Who do I look like Santa Clause?

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. Sometimes

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I think we all get the requests "Can you get it done by Christmas." Sometimes really close to Christmas!

Just curious how many of you do them.

I have a few I'll have done by Christmas Eve. Would have had them done earlier but I got a darn cold last week that put me behind!

2. I've got about 30 deer done so far that should be picked up this week, I usually try to get any "kids first mounts" done by Christmas and then crank out as many as I can so I'm done by march 1st

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Get ready for M.T. to chime in on this. ;D

4. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I have a couple. I always seem to get these requests. At least half the time they don't pick it up until after Christmas. I really think it would be wise to charge a premium if past a date that you determine.

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

M.T. ......

M.T. is the only person I know that can take in a fish on Christmas morning and have it finished in the customer's hands on Christmas Eve!

:)

Kerby...

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

As for me I get that asked so much,so I say the price is double cause. I just have to explain to my other clients why your piece got done before theirs. After that they say I can wait. lol

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I almost always try to get the mounts done for Christmas if it's for a kid's present. If it's for a normal customer, it gets done in the order in which it came in unless it's a quickie like a Euro, or they pay more.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Re: M.T. ......

;D ;D ;D

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

He's too busy to respond right now. He can't type and hold the blow dryer at the same time!

10. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

I tell them it'll be done by Christmas next year.
    This year? antlers on a plaque or something like that is do-able, but, otherwise, they can wait for a quality mount instead of a rush job I'm not satisfied with.

12. I try to do as many as possible the tips are great.

13. Got a request to do those Two that I wanted that tutorial on from Cecil and got stiffed for the first time. Both phone numbers were supposedly wrong numbers. Yet I called the one last week and told the lady the mounts would be done and she was happy and said she would pass the word on to her husband. This week, when I called and said they were done,she said, I had the wrong number and, she was not the one I talked to and she had this phone number for 2 months.Hope for the Grandsons sake he does not remember grand-pop saying he was going to get them for a Christmas present

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

HairyPerch,

Sorry to hear that. That sucks for you.

15. I look at it this way. I got good experience on the half cast method. Thank you again for that great tutorial Cecil and a Very Merry Christmas to all you fish heads

16. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Wrote and article about this subject once Cecil great Poll!!!! Check is coming out to you and Have a great holiday Cecil!

Merry Christmas

Rick krane

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Ah the ol' check's in the mail line eh? ;D

Just kidding of course. I truly was not concerned. I won't even be shipping again until after the holidays so there was no hurry.

Merry Christmas too all!

18. Update on those two fish with good news. The lady just called today and said she was very sorry that they done me the way they did, and they were going to come over and pick up the fish tomorrow,and pay the bill in full. Guess everything has a way of working out if you just leave it rest.

19. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Don't do many fish anymore . Got a real job! Anyways. I have been known to hold a blow dryer before.

20. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I say if I'm ahead of schedule I'll try to get it done for xmas. No guarantee tho. (only if it's a kids)

I've rushed mounts for a few in the past...
    once for a deer that was entered in the classics.. I bumped it ahead to meet the deadline for the entry.
    once a deer head for a girls bday (I knew the father so I had to)
    Once a deer head for a guy who was moving out of state
    once for a duck that was for military on leave during certain days to pick it up
    and yearly for a few guys from purto-rico who come for every opening week deer season... I guarantee their deer will be done when they are back in the country next year (which usually works for me cause I get to put them on hold for a few months lol)