1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Subspecies of Leopard is this?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by nuclearjunky, Dec 21, 2014.

1. nuclearjunky

nuclearjunky Member

Hi there,

I got that old Victorian Leopard Head from an UK taxidermist. It has been done in 1922. As it was badly damaged, I opened it to get the skull out.
    Now I would like to know what subspecies of leopard (that do have differences in skull, color and texture of fur) it may have been.
    The fur is short and rather soft. It has a grey tinge on the brighter parts. Skull is about 22cms long and has a very low saggital crest.

Attached Files:

2. akvz

akvz New Member

Do you think you could get an imgur, photobucket, or other photo hosting account to upload better pictures?

Other information that may be helpful would be images of spots, dimensions of rug, area the specimen was collected, if possible... low saggital crest could just mean female or juvenile specimen. I believe most Victorian leopards (and tigers) come from India so are most likely the Indian leopard subspecies (Panthera pardus fusca) but there may be possibilities of other subspecies. Great Skulls? on here has a PhD in this subject and has studied many great cats so if you upload higher res photos I'm almost sure he could come through with results.

3. nuclearjunky

nuclearjunky Member

Sorry for the bad photo quality.
    I needed to reduce picture size due to upload restrictions.

I also thought about Indian or maybe, a Persian leopard.

4. akvz

akvz New Member

You can make a free account on photobucket.com to upload the images in full size... Sea Wolf has a tutorial somewhere on here for a tutorial, but it is fairly straightforward. Make the account, use the photo uploader to upload your images (no matter the size) and post them using the code that says IMG with ] and [ brackets.

5. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Please post pictures again if you are using an apple or android device download Ohub Campfire it uploads pictures much more easily than through a web browser.