1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please Wash Your Cockatiel...

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Lizardfeathers, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

If you want to...

I have read through the archives and many have said that you shouldn't wash cockatiels or any birds in the cockatoo family of parrots. I can't say for cockatoos, but I just mounted a cockatiel and decided to wash it in Dawn dish soap as other birds. I then used powdered borax in a large jar to "tumble" the skin. Then I used a hair drier to fluff and dry. After tumbling, blow drying, tumbling, and blow drying it was plenty fluffy and "powdery".

This bird was an eBay purchase and was apparently killed by a dog unbeknownst to me. It has damage to the face skin, feet, chunks of feathers missing, ect. I'm still a beginner but I wanted to add to the forum that you can wash them but you need to replace the "fluffiness" that these parrots have.

(Sorry, still drying :-[)
    [​IMG]

2. Thanks for posting Lizard Feathers. I have also recently washed a cockatiel and it came out fine.

Greats job, what a cutie!

3. Nice cock bird lizardfeathers,good job.

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I'm one of the ones who suggested that cockatiels and cockatoos should not be washed if it's possible to avoid it but sometimes you really don't have that option.
    Obviously it's better to wash them than to leave them dirty, and they can definitely be filthy - especially if they died sick.
    If you wash them thoroughly, cockatiels will dry to be a shade or two darker in color than they were when they were alive. Fluffing them in potato starch will help to minimize the change but I have never been able to get one back to exactly like it was without cheating. (*cough* airbrush *cough*)
    If you have to wash a white cockatoo it will take a LOT of gentle grooming to get that very fragile plumage to knit back together, but it can be done if you have the time and patience.

5. km123

km123 New Member

What do you have to type in to find a dead bird on ebay? I tried looking and found shirts and paintings hahaha.

6. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

try this: bird for taxidermy

GotHonks likes this.
  7. I have a almost pure white cockatiel I need to mount but I haven't mounted any birds yet. Going to practice on some parakeets first. My close friend works for the pet store here so I get any unfortunate casualties. People also tend to bring in dead, sick or dying animals because they aren't sure what to do with them. The bird was a sad victim of a power outage during the hot summer. Any tips you can give me? How thin is the skin compared to a parakeet?

8. Lizardfeathers

Two searches work for finding most of them on eBay. "Frozen Taxidermy" and "Skin for taxidermy". You can also search "bird taxidermy" and filter it for U.S. only items.

Search every day or so because new items pop up all the time. More in the winter which it the best time to keep shipping accident free (I've been burned before by USPS)...

9. Lizardfeathers

The skin is about as thin or slightly thicker than parakeet so practicing on budgies is a good idea. You do need to make a neck incision in order to invert the skull for cleaning/eye placement. Also search "parrot", "parakeet","budgie", or "cockatiel" in the taxi.net search. There's a few posts from Nancy C. and others with tips.

Good luck!

10. km123

km123 New Member

There we go!! I typed in frozen taxidermy and I found actual birds! thanks!

11. - a r i -

- a r i - New Member

I know this is a r e a l l y
    Late post and I’m new so I don’t know much about were to post stuff, but can you do a budgie first time? With super worms?