1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hunting for trophy only

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ofearthandbone, Dec 22, 2014.

1. ofearthandbone

ofearthandbone New Member

I am still an apprentice..I have worked on a lot of deer and bear this year plus a couple coyotes and Bobcats....curious of your opinions on killing just for trophy....I have been ethically torn here although this is a business and I need to make money so to me that is my priority. However, do bear hunters kill for trophy for the most part or do they also hunt for the meat...I know deer are. I can also understand killing invasive animals whether there are too many, coming to close to houses, starving to death anyway....in your experience how are the bear justified other than merely killing for sport? This is not to challenge your ethics...I am only looking for experience and opting one.... Please do not attack me for questioning this....I have been slammed hard for asking about ethical options.
    Thanks

2. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

TOO many antis are sneaking into every phase of the outdoor sports ,by that I mean hunting and fishing,we call them blood sports.Be careful of apologizing for hunting,UNLESS it's a real slob who litters is a game hog or poacher.Your question is legit,,LEGALLY the meat of any game animal i.e. deer,elk,moose,caribou,antelope,bear, etc. is by law supposed to be utilized to the fullest. make every effort to get it back to camp and or home in the freezer. BUT these are also trophy animals ,not based on the size of the rack or weight but skill involved in getting them. sometimes a ''trophy'' can mean a boy or girls first dove or squirrel.I guess what I'm trying to say is trophy hunters are great,, they take out older more mature animals already having spread their genes through the herd or area. To be specific bear meat is good and is used up by hunters. A good bear roast is comparable to beef and in my opinion better than caribou, antelope,or a lot of the trash you get at fast food places. Don't apologize for ethics either it'll keep you in good standing with customers down the road,,the lack of ethics is why there are no more passenger pigeons ,and almost no bison.I for one would have driven to S. Dakota just to feel the ground shake and see a million herd animals thunder by.

3. ofearthandbone

I bet that is an amazing experience! I would love to try bear meat too...haven't hob mobbed with hunters yet to score some. I am still just the skinner prepped in the basement...this week I am learning..sewing and nailing! I like to think the bear are being eaten.

4. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I can't say for sure about a big brownie[eating one],,BUT those old boars if not eliminated can and do kill lots of cubs.An old trapping book I read from Hawbakers said the mountain men and more modern day trappers ate lynx and considered it a delicacy.Stick with it [sewing prepping nailing] you're learning alot!!!

5. akvz

akvz New Member

You can very much eat bear, the fat is good in any sausage... You can eat most animals that are hunted, and you damn sure better keep as much meat as possible because you can get fined for that. Trapping has more unedible creatures but either way the tagging & careful maintenance of the sports allows for a lot of money spent on conservation. Poachers and unethical hunters/trappers are not treated lightly, perhaps especially among ethical hunters and trappers. There's more than one thread on here where many of the hunters on here will chew out a guy for taking a shot he wasn't sure he could land and losing/wounding a deer or will chew out a guy for not following after a gut shot deer because it ran off and they did not want to track it that far... I don't think anyone here wants to purposely cause an animal to suffer and those who do are very much a minority and typically shunned by other hunters.

I think the only animals that come to mind as being "unedible" (not required to harvest the meat) are wolves, cougars, and bears and I've definitely heard of people eating all of them... though wolf is eaten less because it's 1 step removed from being our hunting dogs and smells pretty nasty. ;)

I dislike wasting animals too and try to minimise waste... I clean the bones for jewelry (I don't make it but other people buy bones for jewelry so why not let them) and if the animal is safe, I feed meat from caped/skinned out animals to my cats as part of a raw diet. I would tan the back hides of many animals if I could, but I do not have fleshing equipment and dislike the tanning process... I might consider making leather out of them, though.

6. Brown bears if they have not been eating fish are fine to eat, and in some parts bear meat is considered pork while moose is the beef. Now if a brown bear has been eating fish which is the case with those huge coastal bears in southern Alaska- Kodiak, Southeast Alaska etc... then they taste like [email protected]#t and aren't eaten.

Black bear meat is delicious.

But with that said every mammal is virtually edible as long as it isn't toxic to humans. I've never heard of anyone eating wolves or coyotes and that meat is probably disgusting to most North Americans but some Asians might find it good as they eat dogs and that meat is probably similar to dog meat. Its all what you are used to eating that you eventually develop a taste for as well.

7. akvz

akvz New Member

I believe northern European countries eat more dog than Asian countries these days, but it's also eaten in South America and Africa... either way, it tastes like gamey dog meat, from what I understand... sort of like a cross between bison and sheep with a more meaty taste. You are what you eat, I guess. I'm sure you can cut the gaminess the way you do with wild boar or javelina, and be left with a dog-like meat, but as stated, many people in North America would probably have the mental barrier of "companion animal" going into it. Wonder what wolfdog tastes like? Maybe a nice in between...

BTW it's the same with many meats... many Americans are disturbed by the idea of eating horse, but in Spain and other European countries it's no big deal... we eat beef while in India it is deeply frowned upon... rabbits are eaten in France but it's a cute fluffy pet for us here (not that it prevents us from eating it)... so on and so forth. The only animals I would caution to stay away from would be the organ meat of large carnivores (especially liver and kidney) and the brain/spinal cord of many animals due to prion diseases. I've heard of people eating raccoon, bobcat, opossum... prepped right, any meat is edible.

8. Huntaholic

Huntaholic New Member

Ive been going bear hunting every year since 08 I think. Ive killed a bear every year and NONE of it has gone to waste! In fact its what we have at thanksgiving at my house! This year I think we fed 27 people and bear was the centerpiece of the meal.

9. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    I believe if you kill it, you bring it home and eat it or give it to someone that will. But each state has its own regs. Here in NM it is not mandatory to bring bear or cougar meat out of the field for consumsion.

10. Manderscheidt

Manderscheidt New Member

Coyote?

I am not into wasting any of God's resources, but while I hunt and kill coyote and fox, I am not about to eat one. If I ever shot a bear or lion I would be all for eating it.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    To me black bear meat, if handled properly has few rivals as far as taste and tenderness goes. Unfortunately many hunters are ill prepared to handle a dead bear and get it butchered or at least cooled properly before it starts to rot. As a taxidermist you need to accept that many animals will not be eaten, but their hides, antlers and bones will be utilized in some form. I do not like to waste meat from anything me or my family kills but I am not going to eat anything that a customer brings in. The landfill rats and other varmints can.

12. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

Bear hams disappear long before the pig hams around my house. Cougar tastes like a pork loin but a little sweeter. Not much goes to waste around here. Probably won't eat wolf anytime soon though.

13. Even if you don't want the meat you can hunt the animal and donate the meat. In Iowa it is called the HUSH program. I don't hunt much since the war and becoming a taxidermist, but I do know that a lot of hunters hunt for racks here, some keep the venison and others donate the meat to the HUSH program, which processes it and disperses it to needy families.

14. torka

torka Member

Another use for part of that bear is to render the fat and to use it as a rub on sore or arthritic joints. an old timers remedy that work wonders.

15. blindluck

blindluck Member

We just ate a bear roast in the crock pot with carrots and potatoes, honest to god, I could not tell a difference from beef.

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Let's go back to one word that I saw used: Ethics. That has become as overused as "white guilt", "racial profiling", "diversity" and dozens of other phrases. I would watch Eastman's Hunting more often except that bullspit ending of theirs where "fair chase is the only way to hunt". Ethics by definition has been misused by hunters for ages in an attempt to embarrass other hunters. Sweet and simple. Ethics is defined as "morals" and morality in hunting is pure damned ignorance. If it is "ethical" for you to LEGALLY shoot over bait, use decoys, use electronic and manual calls, whatever, who the hell are you to tell someone what they're doing is "unethical"? Would you shoot a turkey on the roost, a duck on the water? Why or why not? Would you shoot a deer in it's bed? Why or why not? Is one that much different from the other? How do you reach that opinion? And if you're starving, is all of it OK? Then why would starving be that much different from hunting for enjoyment?

When I deer hunt, I hunt two ways. If I'm looking for herd management or for food, I'm taking out a old doe for the herd or a young doe for the table. But I trophy hunt as well and since the meat portion doesn't apply to the first PRINCIPLES that I've set for MYSELF, I only shoot older, more mature bucks. But that's MY CHOICE and I don't try to force that choice on anyone else. Neither should you.

17. ofearthandbone

George-your last post to me was absurd and highly defensive....I'm not here for an argue eat...only for others who want to share an opinion based on what I am asking. Not here to challenge beliefs....everyone on this thread has been awesome and enlightening....please go somewhere else if you feel argumentative....this is your post to me....

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »

OF, let me ask you a question: Have you stopped beating your child?

See what kind of question that was? No matter how you answer, you admit to beating your baby. That's exactly what that convoluted post of yours did. You prefaced your question by implying what we do was contrary to "morals", "ethics", and a vegan lifestyle that even you admitted didn't work out for you. Your "question" then becomes one of how we justify OUR morals and ethics by doing taxidermy. And now you're feigning shock at our answers? I tend to think Kerby may be right.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It can be whatever you'd like it to be. I could care less what you think about it, I stated my opinion of those who would, like you, squeeze in that little word "ethics" to justify your pomposity. What I consider ethical is none of your damned business and what you consider ethical is none of mine. I sleep well at night with the decisions I make. How about you? That's all that matters.

19. OP...
    Looks like you unintentionally opened a can of worms...

Personally, ethics to me is following all game laws and being a steward with the resources being utilized.
    I've never hunted for predators or bears but I do turkey, deer, and some small game when I have the chance. I usually only have 2-4 days to deer hunt and hunt exclusively on public ground in Missouri. Missouri public ground can be quite crowded. Average hunter densities in Missouri is around 11 hunters per square mile (give or take some) and I feel it can be higher in the public hunting areas of the state. My hunting experiences have never allowed me to "pass" a small buck to wait for a larger one, however, I do pass on fawns of the year. If you want to harvest a deer during rifle season in Missouri, on public ground, you take the first animal you can. This has led to some snide remarks from some "bad-ass" hunters about shooting a spike or a "slickhead" or a "basket rack" buck. I've managed to harvest deer nearly every year and butcher it myself so I can get the most out of it.

Turkeys on the other hand are a little different. I can't eat a wild turkey leg, I've tried many times. I have gotten to where I will breast out a turkey and debone the thigh meat and pitch the leg meat. I grind the thigh meat into burger and cube the breast for nuggets.

I throw squirrel heads in the trash but a buddy of mine says I "waste" the best part. He loves squirrel brains. :eek:

Most furbearers are not eaten. They are harvested for the fur value. Not saying they can't be eaten but, most aren't.

I think as a taxidermist we must look at the overall picture: if the creature was harvested in accordance with all applicable game laws and not left as wanton waste, then all is well.

20. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Why do you care, you stated you do it for money. If you don't like the answers you get, get out of the business. I have seen both sides of this question, eat what you like give the rest away to others that do. I like bear meat but only some of the cuts, ethics have nothing to do with it, ethics are a matter of opinion.