1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Forgot to degrease...should i...

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by frenchydermist, Dec 23, 2014.

1. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Hi folks!!! i am tanning a black bear hide and totally forgot the degreasing process( dont ask me why :eek:.)it is in the lutanfn solution now... What i should do now? im out of tanners salt and cannot make another pickling solution :mad:
    Should i neutralise, let dry until i get salt, mix a pickling solution and got all the way back??

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

If I ever had a brain freeze like that!
    1) do not raise the pH
    2) Remove the hide and drain till not dripping
    3) Place skin in plastic bag freeze till you are able to mix up a pickle
    4) Place skin in fresh pickle pH 1.5 - 2.0 for a couple days and agitate freq.
    5) Proceed with degreasing process, then back in pickle for another day
    6) Drain skin, place in lutan solution, raise pH of tanning solution to 3.8 - 4.0
    7) Leave skin in tanning solution 16 - 20 hours , then bring pH of skin to 5.0 - 5.5
    8) Remove skin from lutan solution and drain till not dripping, then oil and finish
    Hope this helps you out!

3. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

1) do not raise the pH .
    2) Remove the hide and drain till not dripping.
    3) Place skin in plastic bag freeze till you are able to mix up a pickle.
    4) Place skin in fresh pickle pH 1.5 - 2.0 for a couple days and agitate freq.
    5) Proceed with degreasing process, then back in pickle for another day agitate freq.
    6) Drain skin, place in lutan solution, raise pH of tanning solution to 3.8 - 4.0
    7) Leave skin in tanning solution 16 - 20 hours , agitate freq. then bring pH of skin to 5.0 - 5.5
    8) Remove skin from lutan solution and rinse, drain till not dripping, then oil and finish.
    Hope this helps you out!

4. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Thanks a lot for your input...it helped a lot!!!