1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bucket heaters ?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Snapper head, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Kind of new to cleaning skulls and read some stuff on bucket heaters. For degreasing what's the advantage or disadvantage of using them over a aquarium heater ??

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Huge disadvantage is that, without a thermostat, the bucket heater makes the water much too hot. They are well suited to using in larger containers where an aquarium heater is not.

3. Thanks for the info like I said new to this and learning as I go

4. apache

apache 9-11 never forget

has anyone ever used a roaster oven?

5. Sea Wolf

There is also a thread on here on how to wire a thermostat into a bucket heater as they do not come with one. Try an Advanced Search for "Caveman bucket heater" :)

6. Thanks I will check it out

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    yes, they work good you, can get 2 antlered deer in a 18 quart more of other kinds.

8. AudreyElizabeth

AudreyElizabeth New Member

I am using a roaster oven right now (thanks for the help 3bears!). It took a little bit to get the temperature set just right, but now it is holding steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

9. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I use an aquarium heater with a thermostatic control and keep the heat in the bucket at about 80 degrees.... Just be sure to unplug the heater when you change water, Made that mistake once!!!!! If you put it back in the bucket with cool/cold water the glass will shatter on the heater!!!!!

10. Kelsey Swalwell

Kelsey Swalwell New Member

This is good news as I would like to use an apI bucket heater in a big plastic storage bin. Any thoughts on this? I sure do worry about leaving the thing on overnight for safety reasons and it's still freezing at night here... Might just heat it up to hot-hot in the mornings and before bed to try and prevent freezing.

11. Sea Wolf

The one made by Allied is close. If it works, it will get much too hot by itself. If you can connect it to a thermostat control you can leave it on all the time. Heating the water hot-hot will probably be enough to kill off the bacteria you are trying to grow and the process will never work. It really only needs to be 80 to 90 degrees but it has to be steady for 24/7 for the two weeks it will take to clean it.

12. HuntMaine

HuntMaine New Member

I am using a bucket heater controlled by an Inkbird, two setups like this. One for degreasing and one for maceration. Works well here in Maine all winter with no issues!