1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

can water based paint be used in an airbrush?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jon_wilhelm, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Hey guys,

The time has finally come for me to purchase an airbrush. It's something I should have really done a lot sooner. My question is can ordinary paint (such as watercolour) be watered down and used in an airbrush. Not trying to sound cheap, but it did seem like possibly a more cost effective alternative .

2. MBA Taxidermy

MBA Taxidermy Member

Yes, I have done this with acrylic paint from Walmart. Added some to the airbrush cup and some water swirled it a bit and it worked great.

3. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

I use onlu Createx water based paints in my airbrush...

4. That's great. Thanks for the help. I'll definitely give it a try.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

jon, to get to the crux of your question, the proper answer is to be VERY CAREFUL. The guys replying are speaking of water based acrylic paint MADE for airbrush work. With ordinary water based paint, the colors are carried by the liquid. If you start diluting that liquid past the cohesiveness of the color imbedded in it, your paint is not going to work at all. The color will be disbursed and you'll only have flecks of color instead of a solid pattern. (Same applies with lacquer paint as well.)

6. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Now hold on George you are not totally right. Don't scare the guy. I use nothing other than cheap bottles of water base paint that I buy at Walmart or Michaels. I squirt v it in my cup and put water in and stir it up. I have done this for twenty plus years and have painted thousandd v of fish. There is an "art" to it but it can be done very easily. I use a panache vl 3 .

7. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Damn these little phones

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

M.T. you're talking about BOTTLES OF PAINT. Bottled paint is more concentrated that CANNED WATERBASED PAINT. The original post listed "ordinary paint" which to me means "house and trim" or "floor and deck". Now perhaps he's using the bottled paint you speak of but then again, I have no idea what is meant in that post.