1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

please vote for grand champion

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jvan, Dec 29, 2014.

1. jvan

jvan Member

ma
    http://www.anglersartistry.com/store/
    Please log on to ricks site and vote for my Smallmouth mount.

Attached Files:

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Mold or skin mount? Looks like a mold?

3. jvan

jvan Member

ma
    That would be a skin mount. A mold would not be that perfect

4. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

So if a mold was made from that skin mount, it wouldn't be as perfect?

5. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Is it really perfect? Wish I could do that.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Well typically it's the other way around in my honest opinion but I don't know everything. And the only casts I've made are fins and heads.

Wow that is one awesome job for a skin mount! Dude you rock! Krane is a hell of a teacher!

Sure beats most of the mounts in Mass I see by a mile when I go back to visit and fish. (Used to live there). Not saying they are all bad but for the most part the one's I see in bait stores are horrendous. And I'm speaking as someone that isn't God's gift to taxidermy.

I'll have to go to the site and vote!

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Jason,

To be honest I never like the posts where someone asks you to vote for them. OTOH you're fish was just as good or better than the 5 or 6 outstanding mounts in the line up. So I voted but won't say which one. :)

8. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Active Member

Is "perfect" possible in any medium or style? :eek:

9. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Bryan, the only perfect fish was made by the man upstairs. As great as some artists are on here our representations always fall short in some way.

10. jvan

jvan Member

ma
    My mount came out better than I could have imagined. Its pretty perfect in my eyes. Rick is a hell of a teacher and both Rick and Kathy Krane are great. I am thankful I met and learned from them. There are plenty of great looking mounts posted every month on anglers artistry site and taxi net. If you voted for me thank you if you voted for another I also thank you. Those are the best mounts voted on by the general public this year and I am very proud to be one of them.
    Thanks you and have a safe and happy new year.

11. ely

ely New Member

I don't know you from adam, but I can bet that you didn't do that fish all by yourself Then getting on here and asking for votes to win something over people who did do it by themselves is pretty tacky in my opinion. As a matter of fact asking people who don't know you to vote for you on anything is pretty tacky. We are big boys and will vote for who we like. By the way, the word perfect is something I would use very sparingly if you want to get anywhere in this business.

12. jvan

jvan Member

ma
    Thanks for the tip ely

13. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Jvan, I did vote for you and looking over those that have pics in most have worked with Rick. But even though you work with another does not mean you don't have talent. To do the fish you did requires talent even with Rick's help. There are those that ask for others to do Birds and Mammel's either because they don't know how to do them, have to much work or rather tell their customer they did them and they didn't. I look at a lot of peoples post on here, the number of times they have tried to help someone and ones that complain. You did a fantastic job and there is nothing wrong with asking others to vote for you. People will vote their conscience no matter what.

Perfect is in the eyes of the beholder or judge. In the case of Steve Klee he does know what he is talking about.

14. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Active Member

Totally Agree Monty! That was what I meant. 8)

15. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

What a mean bunch of people................ a little solicitation for a vote and he gets turned on by a bunch of...................well I've said enough..........

16. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Before this goes south in anyway... It always seems to get out of hand some times when taxidermist and passion gets involved! It is real simple it is a contest for fun! No one gets hurts or is there money involved just fishy fun! I personally know most i not all you guys writing and fair enough to write or speak onion that is all good of course I just will add this about that I don't write personally so much these days other then the occasional promotional for free stuff I personally give away which I can see most of you took your time to partake in the fun free stuff and that is why I do this free stuff so you can get a little some thing for free and enjoy to learn maybe something new. Any one who knows me and some of you writing here do know that I want folks to enjoy them selfs and to as artist keep the passion burring. I get it completely that some times it is fun to to jump in and have some fun with one another or at the expense of one another it is the nature of who we are so it seems.

In my wordy way keep it fun and remember nothing or no one here is perfect or can create a perfect ( though I have a friend in WA State thats gets pretty close though) anything so lets keep that in perspective and Vote for your favorite fish if you like and partake in the contest in 2015 as we do in fact give away a silent air compressor for free including shipping to some lucky person! Now I'm just a small business and I don't have to reach in to my pocket to do anything but I choose to because I care about you and I sincerely want to share when I can how I can! That is the spirit that direct me to do what I do. So have some fun with all of this and check out the contest and get involved for from free stuff perhaps if you want too! This year there was about a 1:150 chance to win that compressor not bad odds if you ask me for a free one! Happy New Years to you my Fellow Fishheads!

My Best

Rick Krane

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

My goodness that was harsh on a guy that is still a little green under the ears, all pumped up, and still has that twinkle in his eyes when it comes to taxidermy. As someone that has taught fish taxidermy I've seen some students do some pretty astounding things and not so astounding things by working on the same exact project side by side. (As in they did their own work). It's a lot easier if you can actually see how to do something in real time right next to you.

I don't know what Rick does but he must be doing something right, and as talented as he is I know I could learn from him, and I've been doing this and competing for 30 years! (Took off from competing a few years back actually).

Here are a couple of pictures of a couple of my student's mounts that were done side by side by guys that had no or very little previous experence. I think you'll agree they are pretty decent for beginners. Just as good as most of the commercial work out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And no I'm not tooting my own horn or trying to get some free publicity for potential students. Teaching isn't my favorite thing in the world and kudos to those that can do it like Rick. I no longer do it although I am happy to help former students with any questions or help they need.

18. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

oh this post didn't disappoint at all! As soon as he made that reply I was anxiously awaiting everyone's responses....

gotta love this place anymore

19. Jillian@AnglersArtistry

[email protected] Working hard to make the world a fishy Place!

Jimmy it never gets boring :eek: It is like I said it is like watching a train wreck if your into that kind of thing? If you want to each some thing fun and funny we have a special hat for Rick to where for the live Golden Ticket give away this evening. He has already said NO way to the hat so we'll get him to where it! ;)

20. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

That IS a beautiful smallmouth and all I have to say is I was honored to win the April contest #2 in 2013. Didnt make the cut for Grand Champion......not a big deal. The contests are all about sharing and expressing the talent we have.
    Personally, I get inspired by just viewing the MANY outstanding entries and I know most of you fishheads can concur. Same lift I get with the TMIFP. Learning is so visual that these pics alone can trigger a positive effect on your next one and in multiple cases, reflects positively on the teacher behind the scenes. The unsung hero if you will. Why do think reference is such a potent word in fish reproduction. The talent within Rick's contest is definitely not limited to this last contest but I will cast a vote for the one that inspired me most......

Btw, Nice work with your students Cecil..........