1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whitetail wet nose look

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by outdoorsalways, Dec 30, 2014.

1. outdoorsalways

outdoorsalways New Member

My last deer i tried to give it a wet look on the nose. It didn't turn out like i wanted. What can o use to help?

I used fish gloss spray cant remember brand then used water base clear coat

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

I use 2 part automotive clear coat Get at orileys auto parts

[​IMG]

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Just got a pray can from Joe Coombs, nice heavy gloss.

4. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Mod Podge

5. tylerdeloach32

tylerdeloach32 New Member

Randy,
    Do you use a brush and apply mod podge on the whole nose pad? I've used it to recreate the nose texture.

6. Randy Miller

I first apply texture with a hypo needle and syringe, When dry, I go back over with Mod Podge on a brush, it fills in the nodules a little so they aren't so pronounced and "raspberry" looking.

7. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Mod podge looks great but for customer work it is too soft, one slight bump and you'll knock a chunk out of it. Just about any kind of clear coat spray will work.

8. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Member

I'd first ask the customer if they want a glossy wet looking nose first. I had one guy pick one up and did not like it, stating deer do not have a wet looking nose. The customer is always right even though they are wrong.

9. Randy Miller

When I run into that I mix gloss MP with flat MP.

10. outdoorsalways

outdoorsalways New Member

Thanks for the advice. I was mounting my brothers deer so i could practice whatever i wanted to. He wasn't paying for it!!!
    I was thinking of doing airbrush work then building the nodules up not sure how that would work. Not trying to reinvent anything just trying to figure
    out how to make it look how i want it to look. (references) I tend to make them seem a little to grey. I also cover up most of the tones i put in first.
    May just go to a few shops and see how they do it.

11. Randy Miller

That can work with MP comercially. WT noses CAN BE a little grey.

12. NAC Taxidermy

NAC Taxidermy New Member

After you use spray on gloss go over it with a air dryer to purge out the tiny air bubbles. Do this a couple of times. Learns this from Rick Krane on his fish videos!

13. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

X2 on the car automotive gloss, works great and prays through my airbrush nicely, gives it a real thick high gloss look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

14. tylerdeloach32

tylerdeloach32 New Member

Redfisher,
    What brand of automotive clear coat are you using that you're able to run through your airbrush? I'm very interested in trying this.

15. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Here's what I'm using, works great for me. Mix it in a 1oz bottle, I use a 3:1:1 mixture, 3 clear, 1 activator 1 paint thinner, seems fine and drys fine for me!! Only be careful because you can run your paint if applied too heavy!!
    [​IMG]

16. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Also wear a respirator!!! Highly recommended or you will lose a few brain cells as I have found out. Now what was I talking about? Lol