1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best way to start

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by KDPSR, Jan 1, 2015.

1. KDPSR

KDPSR New Member

First off I hope everyone had a great holiday season. I've been thinking about starting taxidermy for several years now and made my new years resolution to finally start!! So I've collected my basic tools and supplies and several specimens. I've been roaming this site, bought the break through bird book and have going through the tutorials on this site. Now I am going to jump in. I have a couple of questions. I have a couple of GW teal, blacks, woodys and mallards. I also have scoters, mergansers and a buffy female. Which would be the best to start out with? Also should I start with artificial heads, feet, both, neither?
    Hope everyone has a great 2015, thank you,

2. Crowkiller

Crowkiller Member

Ohio
    Water fowl have alot of skin prep and degreasing ,I think an upland game bird would be a better choice for a first bird.But all that aside Mallards are a good size bird to work with and they're pretty durable.

3. It's not necessarily the right option, but I would recommend starting with one of your divers like the buffy, merganser or a scoter. I started taxidermy with a long tailed duck and found the skin to be stronger and more forgiving for a first bird. Regarding artificial heads and feet, it basically a personal preference. I've tried with and without artifical heads, but I'm not experienced enough to recommend one or the other. Maybe someone else can give their opinion. Good luck.

4. Did my first bird a few weeks ago, it was a female buffy. Although they are small its skin was very forgiving. Just finished a redhead last night and again, the divers skin is forgiving. [​IMG]

And yes, I realize the neck is too long.. But I'm satisfied for my second bird. Good luck!

5. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    Green winged teal, mallards, and woodies have very thin skin and can be very hard to work with sometimes. I would also recommend a sea duck or diver. Unless you want a challenge and start with the teal. If you could start out with one of those things and flesh it well with few holes, everything else should seem pretty easy to you especially divers. Artificial heads are easier with less work in the long run. I wouldn't mess with artificial feet unless you had to replace one or something.

6. Jake L

Jake L New Member

Being your are just starting out, stay away from teal & woodies, unless of course you cry over the ripped skins lol...as said before they are VERY thin skinned birds...get with friends & family who hunt & ask them if they would be willing to give up any divers they shoot...I made the switch to artificial heads years ago, they can be painted before you ever mount the bird so you don't have to worry about overspray getting on the feathers & if you mess up they're easier to repaint...I'm sure there is a time & place for using the real head but if I can use artificial heads I do...I still use the real feet on all my birds...good luck hope the best for you

7. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I agree with AEdwards go with the diver or sea duck may be exremetly fatty but much tougher skin ,i.e. scoter would be my choice out of all of them .