1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking for recomendations for a Sea Duck Hunt

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by rvandonsler, Jan 4, 2015.

1. I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I am wanting to get some Sea Ducks and as we all know the best way to get specimans is to go out and get them! I am interested in hunting Long Tails (Old Squaw), Common Eider, and if at all possible to be lucky enough and have the chance to harvest a Harlequin (dreaming I know).. I would absolutly love to go to St. Paul Island or Island X and get a King but that is a little bit too much for me right now and looking for something more on the lines of the East or West Coast. If anyone has any recomendations on places or services that they have experienced I would be very grateful for your input.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

For a good sea duck and black brants I would look into norcal waterfowl. Heck of a good guy and great guide. I've hunted with him several times and shot alot of good trophys. you'd have to look at the east coast for the eider and Alaska or Washington for the Harley. I haven't really seen a guide that you can kill all in one other than st Paul or island x. Just my recommended sea duck an Brant guide.

3. Awesome thanks Giveem3steve! I will check them out I appreciate it! Lol yeah the Harley is another dream bird of mine! I'm going to make it to Alaska someday in my lifetime to hunt but it's not going to be in the next few years lol

4. Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy Guest

Google duck guides around Anacortes WA....You can get everything you want there - all the sea ducks and divers except kings. You want to hunt Blaine to get all of these. I hunted there years ago but that guide sold out. I got all 3 scoters, oldsquaws, harlis, barrows, and all of the divers there are. I know there is still several guides there so look on the net. You cannot kill harlis on the east coast.

5. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

A Harley was always a dream of mine till I went and killed one in Washington. There your only allowed 1 a season and only 4 sea ducks.

6. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    East coast I used Steve at east coast waterfowlers. No harlis but you can get all 3 scoters, Atlantic eider, oldsquaw, and brant.

7. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

East Coast has a relatively small population of Harlies off Newfoundland that have been know to follow the St Lawrence seaway into the Great Lakes. My guess is they get mixed in with the old squaws and white wing scooters we have in good numbers now. Talked to a guy that shot a Immature Harley drake on Erie a few years ago at a boat ramp in Ohio. He thought it was a Imm Old Squaw (Longtail) but I showed him the markings were a Imm drake Harley.

8. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

For all three scoters, 4 harlequin, oldsquaw, greater scaup, barrow and common ge-go with buck brown in Seldovia AK.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've done WA and you Can get harli, surf and whitewing(common scoter are a
    Rare) barrows and common ge, squaw. Hunting was a lot tougher than AK.

East coast with Reilly Mccue for all 3 scoters, eiders, squaw, Atlantic brant, rbm, and other divers plus guaranteed black duck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dharryman

Dharryman Member

Ruben Perez is who I use he is the man
    Eiders all three scoters oldsquaws

10. slammerdude

slammerdude Member

Holler at Dan in Kodiak AK, a fellow taxidermist that hunts the sea ducks locally and would know what a good reputable outfit is and possible costs.

http://www.seaducktaxidermy.com/

11. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Look up my brother, www.theswampers.com. He guides east coast for eiders, scoters, brant, black ducks, and whatever else. He also guides Alaska for Harlis, barrows, scoters, squaws and the like with Alaska wildfowl adventures. Google them, also on Facebook....

12. pipelayer

pipelayer Member

If you looking for a awesome hunt on the east coast, check out Ocean State Outfitters... Rhode Island and Mass...
    401-824-6440
    www.oceanstateoutfitters.com

13. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

DIY

14. duckdog3

duckdog3 New Member

Second vote for Capt. Perez ! He will get you into many species

www.seaduckhunt.com

15. Captan Adam Smith (Perfect Limit Guide Service), Boston Mass.

Get to the World Show this May, and bid on the hunt he donates every other year.
    I believe it's on Saturday's live auction .