1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sodium Bisulfate:

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by rivertrapper316, Jan 5, 2015.

1. rivertrapper316

rivertrapper316 New Member

Can you use Sodium Bisulfate: ,( like you put in swimming pools) for a replacement for pickling crystals for the acid to lower pH in you pickle ?

I am using lutan to do the tanning with.

2. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I've used it as a straight Pickle years ago. We mixed it - using for every 1 Gl. of Water of Pickle needed, we added 4 Ozs. of Sodium Bisulphate, and 1 Lb. of Salt. The ph should be 1.5-2.0 pH, depending on your local Water ph. Salinity should be 40-43%. As far as being a pH adjuster in your current Pickle I would try it. What are you basically going to use for the Pickle?

3. rivertrapper316

Ok here is the kit that I use, it's lutan FN

LUTAN® FN 100 is a highly-acclaimed, simple to use, tanning agent that is great for hair-on or hair-off tanning. It will produce light colored, soft, pliable skins, requiring little or no breaking. The kit will do approximately 100 lbs. of dry weight hides. The kit includes: 12 pounds of LUTAN® FN, 8 ounces Sodium Bicarbonate, 1 quart of Protal, and 8 pounds of Pickling Crystals. You will need 20 pounds of salt which is not included in the kit.

My question is can I use sodium bisulfate in place of the pickling crystals?
    Has I understand it the pickling crystals is just a crystal form of acid.
    Or is there something Else mixed in with them that I am not A where of?
    I always run out of the pickling crystals before I do the rest of the kit.
    And if I buy just the pickling crystals they are like $25.00 for a 5 lb. bag
    And I can get the sodium bisulfate local for like $10.00 or less for 6 lb.

4. rivertrapper316

I like to add that I am extremely happy with the lutan , have been using it for years with exceptional results.
    I am just looking to save a little money as long as it Will not hurt any thing.
    In there instructions that comes with the kit they say to use like 3 ounces of pickling crystals per a gallon of mix along with your salt or the acid of your choice.

I am not a taxidermist just a trapper that tans his own pelts and sews them in to blankets, hat and so on.
    Thanks for any help or advice on this subject.

5. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

My e-mail address is bruce_rittel@comcast.net (be sure to add the _ between bruce and rittel)!

Why not give me an e-mail and I'll reply with attaching a list of Acids I've experimented with. They all work - this list will give you the different Acids you can use, as well as their formulas if you want to use them for Pickling.

Lutan FN is a good choice for tanning! It tans a very durable skin. An indefinate shelf life!

6. rivertrapper316

Ok will do

7. rivertrapper316

Thanks Bruce !
    I got it and I thank you for all your help.