1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wire wheels for deer capes?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by selkster, Jun 27, 2007.

1. selkster

selkster New Member

I have read a few old postings about using wire wheels for fleshing deer capes, but I haven't been able to decide whether to try it or not. Any opinions or specific setups on how to do this technique?

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

You might be able to flesh one with a coarse wire wheel, but to shave it thin, might be a problem.

3. wire wheeling does just flesh the raw meat, fat off ,but it will need shaved if you are tanning yourself

4. monarch84

monarch84 New Member

i would suggest buying a good fleshing knife and beam, it costs more now, but in the long run you'll save.
    After the hide is tanned it is a good idea to wire wheel the face around the nose pad, eyes and mouth to get a more workable skin.
    Joe

5. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Barker's Taxidermy

e-mail Ray wagaman at [email protected] and ask about his video. You can thin a hide with the stone wheel. He shows you how to do it in his video. You can have a nice set up for about $200 his way. I plan on trying it out soon myself after hearing so much about it.

6. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

It didn't work too well for me, but maybe Iwasn't set up properly. I used my Angle bird flesher ( Heavy duty) and it didn't work.

7. mjroberts

mjroberts gator season will be here soon

I USE ONE AND HAVE NOW WORRIES GO TO GRANGER.COM AND GET A AIR COPRESSER MOTOR THAT GOES 3450 RPMS SO THE MEAT AND FAT WILL SLING OFF PUT A 5 GALLON BUCKET AROUND THE MOTOR AND CUT TO FIT THATS ALL I USE YOU CAN DO FOX COONS DEER BEAR ALMOST ANYTHING AND IT WILL COST AROUND $160 FOR THE MOTOR AND $40 FOR THE WHEEL IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CALL ME 386-937-2815 AND I WILL TELL YOU MORE

8. selkster

selkster New Member

Thanks for all the input. What about a mini flesher, would this be a better choice especially for thinning and more detail areas?

9. RobinK

RobinK New Member

I use the same setup as mjroberts use and get the products from granger the wire wheel has gone up cost you 75.00 shipped im working on a vidieo myself email me will send a pic of mysetup

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

The wheel gets full of fat and then dries hard as a rock.
    I have just used a cheap $4 wheel on a VS hand drill. Lay skin on beam and grind away.
    Keep it moving so you do not build up heat.
    Have gotten great results on WT deer this way.
    Thin face with scalpel.

11. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

never had my wire wheel fill up with fat - you need to use the stone wheel for coarse work and wire wheel for very detailed work - the person that got me started in taxidermy turned deer lips with wire wheel - i can do it but can do it better with scalpel and have more control - i do all mammla faces (down to martin) with stone wheel on grinder - you develop a touch for it and it really isnt that hard - i also have a fleshing machine - i use it for everything but faces