1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Having more trouble with PINK skulls using Baquacil. Other options???

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by treatedsyp, Jan 6, 2015.

1. treatedsyp

treatedsyp New Member

Having more trouble with PINK skulls using Baquacil. Other options??? Sick of this. Is there another brand that works better?? Is 35% the way to go?? Help please.

2. The only time I've ever had the pink problem was a batch of cougar skulls soaked in 35% peroxide that was a couple of years old and near the end of the barrel. All of the previous skulls soaked in peroxide from that barrel were fine. I think it might have been the stabilizer they put in the peroxide. I was able to remove most of the pink by soaking the skulls in fresh Baquacil Oxidizer for 48 hours. The remaining pink faded after the skulls had been dry for a few months.

3. akvz

akvz New Member

Sell them and say the proceeds are for breast cancer research. ;)
    (On a serious note, this has not happened to me before but Alpinist seems to have sound advice for this situation. Can't hurt to try)

Setsuna likes this.
  4. I have not had the pink but have had some green tint with BO and 35% peroxide. It seemed to be random. Was talking to a fella bonehead who had a similar condition. His skulls were coming out fine and suddenly he started getting the green tint. Same batch of peroxide and containers. No change to his process. He was scratching his head trying to figure it out.

Turned out that his wife had bought a different brand of paper towels that he was using to wick the peroxide up over the skull and around the pedicles. He switched back to the brand he had used before and the problem went away. Sorry, I do not know what brand he was/is using.

After hearing that, I got some sheet polyfil and cut it out to fit around the antlers. I can reuse these over and over and have not had any issues with tinted skulls.

Point being, it may not be the BO causing the problem. It may be a reaction between the peroxide and something else.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I had a light pink pastel skull once. All others in the same batch were fine. If I remember, I think I gave it an overnight soak in 40VOL or 3% and when dry, the pink wasn't noticeable. I haven't had it happen a lot. Not enough to stop using the BO. Though, more often I find a different brand called "Pool Mate".

6. marshtaxi

marshtaxi Member

utah
    I am curious after reading this post, does anybody know what is used as the stabilizer for peroxide? would it be possible to add more?

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Peroxide H2O2 is a very unstable chemical. Light oxidizes it, causing it to release oxygen in the atmosphere and the remaining chemical is H2O...water. Your best bet for longevity is to store it in a cool and dark environment.

8. some pool supply companies add traces of phenolphthalein to their peroxide as a PH indicator which is colorless in solution but turns pink. What's happening is known as a Kastle-Meyer test. In which the Phenolphthalein and peroxide are reacting with the hemoglobin in the traces of blood in the bone turning it pink.

9. Skulltastic

Skulltastic Member

^ ^ ^ ^

dam thats a solid post!

10. marshtaxi

marshtaxi Member

utah
    so motorcityskulls Is it something you can break down with alcohol?

11. Sea Wolf

Thanks Motorcity. In the digging I did trying to find out why I didn't come up with that information.

12. if it is phenolphthalein you would need an acid to turn it clear again. I don't know if alcohol would work, but I know vinegar will. However; I have never tried it on bone before so do so with caution.

13. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

Has anyone tried reversing the pink reaction with an acid? I have some very pretty but annoying pale pink skulls on my hands. I do not use pool supply peroxide however I do not know if there is any additives. I purchase 60 gal drums of non food grade 29% peroxide from a local farm supply store. Never had this problem before but I used to store my peroxide outside (summer or winter) and now have moved it into a heated shop for convenience.

On another note I have started storing my skulls in cold water between the beetle and degreasing process. I often do not have room in my degreasing tanks and I thought having the skulls dry out between processes was attributing to by slow degreasing issues or skulls that had hard to degrease areas. No new bins or equipment is being used, most skulls are coming out white. 2 bear and an elk are very pale and evenly pink.

14. Sea Wolf

Interesting. So it indeed might be phenolphthalein being used as a stabilizer. I had only a couple incidences with the pink skulls and several soaks in peroxide lightened it. Never got another to try acid. I would try white vinegar and let one soak for an hour or so. Not long enough for the acid to hurt the bone. Take before and after pictures if you do.

I would not be storing the uncleaned skulls in water. Fat soaking in cold water and the right conditions converts to a wax that is pretty resilient. It takes some time to do that though. Maybe chug in a few gallons of 10% ammonia into your storage water. Will at least do something to the surface oils and maybe help when you put them into heated water.

15. 10% ammonia rips all sorts of grease out, cold or hot water (works better in hot water). For the stains, id try to do the peroxide creme and the booster powder and let it sit til completely dry (1 week+), then dust it off....

16. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

I tired a 50 water 50 vinegar soak on a pink bear skull for about 3 hrs. It had no effect, possibly made it brighter pink.

I boiled one, started it at about 120 and brought it up to a boil, removed it and dried. The color has changed, it is now a dull white though I am waiting to see if the pink will come back with time.

It seems the color takes awhile to develope, starting out very pale pink with the pink intensifying over a week or more. Some skulls that seemed fine and nice and white are starting to take on a pink look after about a week for drying.

Still searching for a reason.... I am on hold till I can figure this out.

17. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I have a few a year, out of hundreds. I soak in hot water and ammonia for about a hour and seems to pull the pink out.