1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

salting incline

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andrew M, Jan 6, 2015.

1. I've always read that you need to put your hides on an incline. from what i understand, you do that to let the fluids run down the hide so to speak. I've never put my hides on an incline and have never ever had a problem. Is it important to put them on an incline or can I just continue to lay them flat when i salt them??

2. Guttbag22

Guttbag22 Member

If it's been working with no issue then I would say continue what your doing I have a Dal rod rack I just drap them over with a container under it to catch the fluid

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

If you have the room in your shop - some Taxidermists actually build themselves a salting rack and incline it just like you do! It definately helps. However whether you leave them out to soak in the Salt or you fold them into bundles, you want the moisture to drain away. I never "roll" a skin when I tan. It traps too much moisture, if you roll, so I fold them, that way all the moisture drains away. If you freeze them, they freeze faster, and you don't have an ice cube in the middle of your roll. And they also thaw faster later.

4. Ok!! Thank you guys for the replies! Now I have a another question. Is it alright to roll my tanned (or raw) hide it the freezer? I've been doing it for about 2 years and been fine but want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong and just getting lucky with no incidents so to speak.

5. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Like I said - I never "Roll" capes or skins when I Tan or freeze capes and skins. I ALWAYS Fold them! You get much better results - and less time is involved. You don't trap moisture like you do when you roll them! Allow them to freely drain.

6. ZMax62

ZMax62 New Member

I be live it does help to have them on an incline to drain . I have been using trapper stretchers just hanging them on it not pulling them supper tight they seem to dry three times as fast as laying on incline. As far as freezing wet tanned hides i lay them skin to skin and flat in freezer till they are almost froze and then roll them up.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have my salting table on a good incline that drains into a house gutter that is the full length of the table, which then drains into a bucket. There is a lot of liquid that runs off the hide and into that bucket.

8. I have to be doing something wrong then because once my hides are fleshed there is little to no grease/liquid in the fur or on the hide. Unless the hide is wet, then I have never had enough liquid to run off the hide.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Humidity in the air plays a big role in how much moisture there is on a hide, not only is the salt drawing it from the hide but also the air. My capes and hides are salted on a flat surface, if the moisture pools up, I shake it off and re-salt, more frequently.