1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not your average Mallard.....

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by GC, Jan 8, 2015.

1. GC

GC New Member

Sorry this is longest post i have ever made but i have to share... After 11 years of handling birds nearly every day I'm off work from my real job i admit that it is sometimes hard to find the motivation to open the freezer and start the next project. When i received this bird 7 months ago and they dropped it off with a pic printed off the internet from Todd Huffman's website to use as a model i admit i put it in the freezer and filled out the paperwork and put it on the list as another job. Fast forward 6 months and i thaw the bird out to skin and prep to mount and it has some damage that i thought would be hidden by a different pose than the jumping mount they requested. Wondering if they would be flexible on the pose i asked the family member who referred the young hunter and his dad to me... Thats when i learned that the pose for the bird was picked out and printed off by the mother of this boy who took the bird. The mother unexpectedly passed away in October... Upon hearing this i knew i had to make the mount happen for this family. I hope that this bird will bring them happiness every time they see it and i pray they find some comfort knowing that the mount she wanted in their home is complete. Sometimes taxidermy is more than a trophy... Its a memory that can never be taken away. I hope she is smiling down on this family when i deliver this mount this weekend....

Attached Files:

2. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I'm sure they will be pleased to receive it. Be prepared for the waterworks :'( ....I did some ducks for the parents of a teenager that passed away from cancer. Mom, Dad and little sister came to pick up the mounts. Got a lump in my throat just thinking about it.

3. GC - you knocked it out of the park for the family!! More than just a trophy - a lasting Memory :)

4. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Outstanding!!
    Sometimes even a Taxidermist can do something that really means al lot, or pulls at the heart strings of someone else!!!

5. mriggle

mriggle New Member

Very well done! I'm sure the family will be thrilled

6. Nice!!!

7. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Very touching story and you did an amazing job on the mount! I'm sure they will be pleased with the outcome!

8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

We don't just mount trophies. What we do is re-create memories. I recently had a lady in her 50s drop off a buck that's 50 years old to remount. She aside her mom shot the buck when she was 6 months pregnant with her.
    Great story and a beautiful mount. I'm afraid if it was me when they come for the mount I'd have a tough time keeping it together.

9. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Great story and a awesome job on the mount !!

10. Nice job. You should be proud.