1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need help re Insuring In-home shop.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by HPridgen, Jan 9, 2015.

1. HPridgen

HPridgen New Member

My Farmers Insurance agent offered to insure my in-home Taxidermy business and has now changed their minds after I spent the funds to convert a portion of my home into a shop.

I'm located in Texas and am in search of an insurance company to cover my Taxidermy business with respect to the customer's mounts...from the time it enters my shop until it exits. My regular home owner's policy covers liability. Ie slips, trips, and falls.

Any and all advice welcome,

Regards

2. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Try the Hartford Casualty Insurance Co. Look them up on the web. JL

3. FORTMEEKS

FORTMEEKS New Member

Hi CTT, I'm still very new to taxidermy but for the past 8 years insurance has paid my bills, so I hope I can help! I would suggest you get a "general liability" policy to cover your business. It will be priced based on your estimated annual gross sales and if your farmers agent can't write it find an independent agent. After you get that in place your homeowners can exclude liability on your business operations without any gaps in coverage. The general liability policy will cover customers coming to your home and personal/ advertising injury (ie: copyright suits), plus a lot more. It does not cover property. in NC it's illegal to sell hides or mounts so I can't insure customers goods here, but you should ask about "Bailee's" coverage, which provides property coverage for others property in your care, custody or control. Check your homeowners form, in NC it gives a small amount of coverage for your business personal property, which would cover things like your tools and equipment.
    Hope this helps!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

4. HPridgen

HPridgen New Member

Thank you very much for the replies. Most helpful!

Eugene