1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New army of taxidermists

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by jasonscustom taxidermy, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Yes a topic most don't want to talk about, but It needs to be addressed. Not long ago there wasent that many doing taxidermy. 1 or 2 in a town or so. Dozen per city. Over the last several years alot have started dabbling in it. This year it has become overwhelmingly obvious. 51 within a 20 minute drive of me. Almost to the point of not how many per town, but how many per neighborhood. Now with this being said the Issue as a result in this. Alot of new to the scene people are running full blown cutthroat, badmouthing, even making false accusations just to slander, and worst of all driving the mindset of cheap price above all to the public. I know they are the low men and women of the totem pole just trying to get their name out there and get some buisness, but it seams like they would litterally kill one another, and the ones that made a name for their selves just to get a mount. Severe shady practices not just in the process of taxidermy, but in the buisness of it. One example. Reporting others work photos on f.b., getting on others f.b. friends list and messeging them trying to shark their work. Stealing their work photos and useing them as their own. Even selling bogus things to get money. Has etiquette, honor, and code of ethics dissapeared?

2. Mason

Mason Active Member

Not just the new guys doing these things

3. Yes just not the new people, but it seams the big percentage of the new people have the described mindset.

4. Probly been this way amonst the ol tops and is just becoming more of a spectical scince so many are getting in it, or possibly since I just started paying attention to it, it has become more relivant.

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Nothing new ............

Taxidermists have grown in numbers since the 70's/80's when VHS became available and then the internet in the 90's. Plus there are more taxidermy associations than the 70's and 80's. More and more taxidermist have realized that they can make more money teaching taxidermy than doing it.

So it doesn't surprise me that there are more taxidermists than ever before.

It has always happened but today's social media has opened up the flood gates to stealing people's photos, etc.

And there have always been crooked people .......... even before internet.

:)

Kerby...

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I always think about this subject. A great bird taxidermist that worked around this area that moved away never wanted to do seminars at our convention when he judged. He said why should I teach someone something I perfected after years of teaching myself. Thought about that for some time and I always wondered why we as a business are so quick to teach any tom, dick or harry that wants a fast lesson into our trade? Videos, DVD's, youtube, supply companies, association conventions, or just work shops by the thousands. I know we as a people have to learn to do any type of job and yes I learned from VHS tapes and trial and error, but taxidermists seem to go out of their way to push the skill. Then we wonder why their popping up all over.

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Well, it depends on how you look at it. Competition breeds quality IMO. If these upstart wannabes are kicking your ass then better look in the mirror. EVERY trade has the same problem. Go to YouTube some time and click on installing a water heater.

I PROMISE YOU that your success or failure in this business(or any) depends on YOU.

And before anyone has a COW I mean the figural YOU.

8. Something that I can't get out of my head is this thought.
    What happens to a species that quickly becomes overpopulated such as deer?
    They quickly die of desease, disfigurment, and malnutrition. Ruff times ahead for the industry in general. Just like the gangs people said "oh their way over there and I don't care. Then soon their neighbors, then take over your neighborhood, then your town. Worst part of it the new pops ups have the same mentality as the gangs. My turf, kill or be killed, and I'm just setting on my front porch screaming stay off my lawn.

9. Well, it depends on how you look at it. Competition breeds quality IMO. If these upstart wannabes are kicking your ass then better look in the mirror.
    [/quote]

We have 11 above ground taxidermist in my 20 mile circle. Most of us been in buisness for over 10 years. This year 51 underground, beginers, and (whatever else) popped up. That's a huge number. Now what is stronger 11 generals or 51 blood soaked cutthroats with everything to prove? ( also not all new are as described some are doing it the right way)

10. Think about this.

2 full time taxidermist in a town doing good, respecting each other, and life is good. Then all of the sudden 20 "practicing taxidermy" people move in. The 2 originals say nothing and keep to themsels. The "new to the scene" all run around town plastering signs, adds, and telling everyone "we will do it half price of the other guys. Everyone goes to them because of the money. Then the newbies turn on each other slandering, fighting cussing, talking about everyone but themselfs. They are stubborn and hang around for a couple years until a new guy shows up in the next town offering a better price. Everyone goes to him. Now did you already forget about the 2 originals before you got done reading this? Ya what happened to them?

11. antlerart

antlerart New Member

there is always going to be this practice. Its called Business

12. What's your age vegan?

13. antlerart

antlerart New Member

does age matter ?

14. I got my answer.

15. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I think I may know what happened to the 2 full time taxidermists. They probably met the same fate as the full time guys who they knocked off 20 years earlier.

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I live in a town of 400 people where I built my new shop. The zip is 78938 . I called McKenzie with the change of address and when I placed my first order they asked my zip & then my name. I said 'what do you need my name for? I'm the only Taxidermist here.'.... 'No she said , there are many others'. Wow, what a surprise.... what did I do, did I google? Did I ask the locals? Did I worry? No, I called one of my best customers and asked where we are meeting Monday to pick up 6 pieces.

Service & quality. Who gives a s.hit about 'the others'. I've lost clients this year, I've gained more than I lost...... I'm going to tell the secret & I hope I do not get a drive by for the truth being told..., 'IT 'S YOUR CLIENTELLE YOU WORRY ABOUT, NOT THE START UPS!!!'

I 're-started' the business I bought from my father in 2006 and went from a 500 square work area to a 1600 square work area with an additional 1400 of skin & prep area..... I have, for a fact , less than 20 of the 'Old' customers.

I hope 40 more pop up next year doing taxidermy in my area , 39 will fail & my business will thrive knowing I'm not the best, but I'm consistent and will be here.

What some see as a negative I see as an asset. The people who actually hunt, who get burned, they will actually start using somebody dependable and spend more money...... my trial has turned into fact.

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I'm on the road quite a bit, why do you worry about. 'local' clients when it's already been proven through your own words that they are not your money? Seriously. That's like pissing in the wind. Do work for clients away from your area and concentrate on them.

18. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

X2 Mike nailed it right on the head.
    Just be concerned with 'YOUR' business and your clients. Some clients will walk, new ones will come in the door.
    Don't get caught up in the cut throat mill. Most of the newbies will die out, why, because of being bad business people.
    It's a business so treat it like one and be professional about it.

19. Mike you know my story. Bet I'm not to far away from hitting the nail on the head when I say this.
    I might just maybe getting grouchy with my old age. I'm not at the point of not putting on pants and yelling at the younguns for walking in my yard, but I can tell story's of back in my day already. I may just be turning into an old fart myself.
    I guess the bright side is i still got my good looks.

20. Also trust me I'm not the only one with concern here even the "bigger" names are feeling it around here.