1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New army of taxidermists

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by jasonscustom taxidermy, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Always be on the best of terms with all your local taxidermists. Most will eventually be your best customers.
    Worry about being the best taxidermist AND the best businessman in your area or field.
    I call the local taxi's i know every fall and tell them what my deer prices are gonna be. Most do only deer, a low profit mount in our studio, and I get references from them for other, more profitable mounts all the time.
    Be a taxidermy businessman, not a deer mounter, and you will not have to worry.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Most of my customers are word of mouth and I have a ton of work for a so called part timer. But most of my new clientele came from other taxidermist. So their yours for now, but they may be someone else's down the road. Price is a major factor as quality, I have found, is waning, as other taxidermist (some) are getting better and the average hunter can't tell the difference. I just went to our state hunting/outdoor show where we have a outstanding deer program to show the largest deer taken from the previous season, at least 60 mounts with deer scoring from 130 to 202. 50% of the work would be a third or honorable (horrible) mention in novice, in pro, some no ribbon. But those taxidermist may or may not get better, but their flooding the market and with new hunters ranks dwindling, there's less work to go around.

3. antlerart

antlerart New Member

I bet just about everybody's customer was someone else's customer at one point . Quality of work and attitude can get or lose customers.

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I guess the bright side is i still got my good looks.
    Don't forget your charm Jason.

5. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Competition is good. Saturation is not. When saturation continues to produce lower prices even on quality work it trains first time customers that they don't have to pay a realistic price that full time taxidermists need to charge to actually make a profit.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Riverland-Bingo.