1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

too much hide between ears and antler burr

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by WildArt2013, Jan 9, 2015.

1. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Ive been having an issue while mounting up whitetails, when I position my earbutts which are closer to the antlerbase like they should be (not too low), im getting a butt load of loose hide in front of the ear next to the burr. I use plenty of clay in the butts. Everything else mounts up fine. But when i bring the ears forward it wrinkles in front of the ear. Everything is machine thinned. Any thoughts,

2. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

You should have wrinkles when you bring the ears forward!

3. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,372271.0.html

4. butterbean

butterbean New Member

Just taxi 2 or 3 on each side ,shouldbe fine.

5. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

I know i should have some it just seems like i have too much. But now that I look at it I see what you guys are talking about. The last few Ive done seem to have excess but i may need to up the amount of clay and ear butt size I work with. They have been larger deer.

6. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

I need to get a few better references. Ive got a ton just not many in that area

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

The skin might possibly need to rotate around the pedicels some.

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

As Gregg said, the ear butt skin needs to go down and curl back up to the antler burrs in the back of antlers peds, this can lose over a half inch if hide.

9. livbucks

You can also lose a little slack by simply sliding some skin up the ear and ear butt. If you stretch the skin down hard from the ear, you will get excess.

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

That too, LOL.

11. Many guy put to much filler behind the antler burrs. Make sure there's not to much fill there and that you can have that nice crease so like Paul b said that skin can go down in there then roll up to the burr.

12. livbucks

Yep, they have that when their blood is pumping.

13. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

You could have your skin pulled to far back, we all have a tendency to do this. try pulling some skin forward and compress it onto the cheek a little this might help some.