1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing a bobcat skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Djlhunter, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Djlhunter

Djlhunter New Member

I am degreasing a bobcat skull with dawn and water. I know they can be greasy and may take some time. This is the smallest head that I have done and my question is will the small teeth fall out and what is done for this, they seem so small that it would be hard to put back in place.

2. blindluck

blindluck Member

My experience with bobcats degrease in a week or two but all the small teeth will fall out, I use tweasers to put them back in, it is hard to figure out that puzzle. have fun

3. Djlhunter

Djlhunter New Member

Thanks

4. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

The incisors will be the hardest teeth to get back in their correct place. Try to pull them before you degrease so you can keep them straight.
    Kendall

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Try laying the skull and jaw in there so the teeth are pointing up. Don't shake it around roughly and they should stay in place. Cat teeth have thin roots and I also use tweezers to handle them at times. If you choose to pull them out beforehand, stick them in some white Sculpey clay or other white soft clay to keep them in order.

6. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Bobcats will loose their teeth and be careful they are tiny. Imo they are one of the worst to decrease properly, some take months for me.

7. akvz

akvz New Member

I actually have trouble with the molars.... ! The tiny two teeth in the back, don't forget about them, the root is not very curved and they fall out very, very easy. I pull the teeth out and arrange them in order on a paint card from Walmart/Ace/Lowes/etc. and tape them down, file them away until the skull is done.

I don't find the incisors to be much of a puzzle or a pain, keeping them together during cleaning is the tough part!

[​IMG]

I drew this quick diagram (not entirely proportional) to help you if they've already been disarranged; the top incisors have a very slight "fork" while the bottom ones are generally a more rounded, peg-like shape. This example was using a subadult male bobcat who had absolutely no wear on his adult teeth, so older animals do tend to be a little more ambiguous from the wear, but the root shapes should be the same.

8. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Bobcats will loose their teeth and be careful they are tiny. Imo they are one of the worst to decrease properly, some take months for me.

9. Hungry Bear

Hungry Bear New Member

I have only done one bobcat. I cleaned with beetles and degreased with dawn and then finished with acetone. I must have gotten lucky because I did not lose any teeth.