1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ear Liners and Adhesive . . .

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Michelle_Nelson, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I am curious to see what Ear liners and Ear liner adhesive everyone prefers? Thinking more and more of going over to Ear Liners for most projects. Deer, Elk, Bear, etc. Thanks.

2. juli

juli Active Member

I would be curious to know what your reasons for changing might be.

3. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I never really got into using ear Liners. I think that last time I used a set was at least 8 years ago. Things change over time and new things come and others go. I've been using Bondo since I started doing Taxidermy over 12 years ago. Bondo is alright but I would like to try another way of doing the ears. Maybe I will like the results better, maybe I will continue to use both.

I'd kinda like to see what brand of ear liners people are using and what kind of adhesive. They "why's" of the preferences. Etc. Kinda narrow down which to start with.

4. I switched to earliners 3 years ago, For competition reasons. The more I use them the more I like the end results. The bondo ears will drum and split eventually. I use Pro-1 adhesive and McKenzie liners as well as OTS liners. With liners and cast ear butts you can get a much softer look to the ears I think.

5. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I use Mckenzie earliers for my deer... 3 sizes and I use them all.
    I used to use Mckenzie ear adhesive but I noticed mounts in my shop had the ear hair turn yellow... I read that's common with Wesco glues (I looked on the back b of Mckenzie ear adhesive and it's made by wesco)

I switched to pro1. Very pleased so far for adhesion. Just gotta check the ears last before you walk away for the day to make sure they are making contact in all the problem areas, not that while handling them you pulled the skin away.

I like to use manakin prep spray on my earliners... I spray them and let them sit for a minute or 2 then apply glue and mount.

6. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Pro 1 and both mckenzie and ots earliners.

7. juli

juli Active Member

Eventually drum and split.... over how long a period of time? The shop I used to work for used bondo for 30 yrs (and still does) and I have never ever seen an ear drum or split (mounts of all kinds in the showroom, or brought back by customer for cleaning).

That said... I have seen plenty of mounts with split and/or drummed ears brought in for repair in which the taxi who did the work used. LOL

8. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

My two cents...liners offer superior results, however, there are a lot of times that bondo ears are a life saver, (african stuff with few/poor liners available, odd sizes, jumbo size Mulie ears, ears that look like gloves missing a couple fingers)
    I'm glad that I learned using bondo, because it took me a loooong time to get good at it, and those skills come in handy often now.

9. Most of the drumming wont be obvious , But if you feel them you'll find drumming . I think most of it is caused by movement over time . The more extreme the temp and humidity swings the sooner and more obvious it will be. I still use the bonded ear method on occasion

10. TomR

TomR New Member

If the subject's ears are in good shape, earliners are the way to go. If you have damaged/scarred ears, you may find the bondo method is still the best for that application. The main thing with earliners is ensuring proper sizing/trimming for a perfect fit and that you remove the cartilage from the ear. I like the Eppley ear liners. To ensure they don't drum, I will usually score the earliner lightly all over to ensure solid adhesion and then apply my adhesive.

11. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

my opinion, I have use earliners for over 40 years now and have never had any ears drum or split...I have a zebra I mounted in my office that I did in the mid 70's that is still in perfect condition...hell when I started people were using lead earliners for everything...I still think a dextrin based paste is the strongest you can use..

12. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

IMHO, there are positives and negatives in both procedures, and there is no definite "superior" way between the two. It's still just personal preference. To gain something in one method, you lose it in the other.

The fact is this, it all boils down to what a person can do, and what a person can't do. You can be the best there is at doing ears and take all the precautions in the world with either method, the deciding factor will be beyond your control. That's how it's taken care of after it's left your facility.

If a mount comes back to you after a few years and the ears are drumming, how do you determine the cause (if it's not blatant of course)? Was it the method, or it's environment over the last few years? Nothing lasts forever, but it does last longer if it's taken care of properly...

Best, Steve

13. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I started with Bondo 30 years ago. I switched to earliners probably 25 years ago. As mentioned Bondo has its place for ears that there are no liners for and in emergency situations. But I prefer liners and I use Roman 555 wall paper paste for them as well as my hide paste.

Todd B

14. rockbass33

rockbass33 New Member

I like pro 1 hide paste and 360 earliners and ear butts from OTS. I've used apoxie paste with good results also.

15. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

Brad Eppley design deer earliners and Buckeye bear earliners both sold by Mckenzie. After trying several glues,have settled with Magic smooth 2 part epoxy for the adhesive.

16. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Far too many variables to conclude a "best" solution. How wet is the skin? How oily is the skin? Did you remove the inner ear ridges? Is the earl liner too big? What material is the liner made of? Did you rough the surface of the liner? Did you card the ears? Temperature, humidity, what kind of glue? The "way I do mine" may suck when combined win the way you do yours. If you ever find a system that gives you the control and success you are looking for you need to stick with it.

17. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Best advice by far Rick!

18. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Far too many variables to conclude a "best" solution. How wet is the skin? How oily is the skin? Did you remove the inner ear ridges? Is the earl liner too big? What material is the liner made of? Did you rough the surface of the liner? Did you card the ears? Temperature, humidity, what kind of glue? The "way I do mine" may suck when combined with the way you do yours. If you ever find a system that gives you the control and success you are looking for, you need to stick with it.

19. Just like Todd B....I have had excellent results with Roman 555 vinyl on vinyl wallpaper paste from Sherwin Williams. Absolutely a very solid adhesive.
    I use BOTH Epply brand earliners (Mckenzie and OTS) with good results. Remember the preformed earbutts for each are propriotary. They do not interchange.

20. Question with removing the cartilage from the ear with liners - is this actually necessary? I've always wondered this because I know some people don't remove the cartilage when doing bondo ears either, so figured with liners you wouldn't need to either - plus then you keep all the inner ear detail that the cartilage forms.

So is it actually a requirement to remove the ear cartilage for liners/bondo/both?