1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sheep eye sizes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mod7rem, Jan 13, 2015.

1. I'll be starting on a couple more Stones Sheep mounts soon and I'm considering using larger eyes. I've been having trouble getting a full plump looking sheep eye like reference pics and I have been using 28x32mm eyes with white. I'm thinking of trying the 30x34mm sheep eyes, does anyone prefer the larger eyes when doing Stones? Thanks.

Trever

2. point75

point75 Member

I understand "the look" that you are trying to get. Sheep do have larger eyes than most mounts show. It's my opinion the larger eyes are much more prevalent with the bighorns and not the thin horns. I usually just use slightly less clay on my eyelids and open the eyes a little more. 1/8 inch more opening can make a big difference.

3. When I try having the eye open more then it seems like I get too much white showing. A delicate balance I guess. I thought mabye the larger eye would allow a plumper look without too much white showing. Thanks for the reply.

Trever

4. Riverland

Riverland New Member

32s should work on the majority of thin horns. Study your eye shape. Sheep have a squattier front to back shape than a deer. Making the middle a little deeper. Sheep do have a lot of oddball eye jesters also and seem to show a lot more white than other ungulates.