1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

degrease or not

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by drwalleye, Jan 14, 2015.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I don't want to offend anyone's methods but I am new and I just need to know. I watched a u-tube on boiling skulls yesterday and he did a great job until the end he just bleached it with no degreasing. I also watched the 5hr tutorial with Michale p and he at least air boiled it in dawn. But I read so much on here about degreasing tanks and letting them in there for weeks or months. I want my stuff done right but with 2 respected taxidermists doing euros complete within a few hrs and I don't here much bad feedback against there methods what am I to believe? am I wasting my time degreasing my stuff for at least 2 weeks after I do Michale P method? I want the best for my customers but I also don't want to do un necessary steps if I don't need to. any helpful advice would be great

2. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

i don't have any proof but it is my opinion that those skulls will leech out grease over time. I just don't think you can get the grease that is in the middle of the thickest part of the skull out in a matter of hours. Some grease may be acceptable to some and some customers may not know the difference or care. It does matter to me. All of my skulls come with a lifetime warranty, if any grease ever shows up, I will fix it for free. There is a market for skulls done in hours or days and if that is your customer base you should provide that service. Just know that grease may show up later.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I think you will find that even MP says that his method works great on deer but not to use it on stuff like bears. Deer are *normally* fairly easy to degrease. Degreasing can, at times, be a pain in the ass. But what matters more is what are *you* happy with? I do hunters trophies but I treat them the same as the stuff I turn out for museum collections. No grease and pure white all around. Some people might not care about grease or a little grease. Sometimes that opinion changes if they see something that is pure white and grease free done by someone else and they ask you about it. I tell all my customers up front, at least three months. Leaves me room to not rush and to take the time to let the process work. You can simmer stuff in detergent but that method does not work well with all animals equally. Simmering is also inviting disaster if not done to the letter perfectly. There is a post on here now about a simmered and ruined bear trophy. The guys first bear too. A lot of customers push your buttons and want it now. Simmer a skull clean like the video and then do another one like it the slower way and degrease it. Set the two side by side and let your customer pick. The simmered skull might look great initially. In several months to a year, it probably will not be so pretty.

4. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

thanks I think I will keep on the way I am. I may take longer but like you said long term your reputation is on the line