1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Member ratings?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RedTx, Jan 14, 2015.

1. RedTx

RedTx Member

This is just for discussion and I just wanted to find out what other people thought.

When I first began taxidermy I used to come on here and ask all kinds of questions and for the most part I always got an answer. With that being said I would get a plether of answers ranging from not even close to "wow" thats a incredible answer. The more and more that I have been on this forum ive figured out a lot of diffrent things. There are some world class taxidermist on this board that give some really great help. There are some world class hacks that give awful information.

Ive always wondered if there was a way we could some how impose a member rating. That way at least when you got information from another member you could look at there rating, awards, pictures of there work and see if they were legit. Unlike the world class taxidermist that has mounted 15 birds and knows everything about everything.

Now as far as me I never hardly give advice and heres the reason why. Ive done less than probably 50 birds, I wouldnt say im a hack but im far from the rest of the talent on this board.

Anyways just an idea.

2. nina5150

nina5150 Well-Known Member

The problem i see with that is people placing false rating because they dont like that person reguardless of there work and do it over and over.its unfortunate like it is now..would be great if we lived in a world of perfect.unlessssss you could only have the option of placing a "Bird Pro"or something positive and thats it.... 8).

3. RedTx

RedTx Member

Exactly, and Ive thought about that. If everyone was just given one vote i dont think it would be an issue. Plus if that person is truely disliked by that many people its for a reason its not by chance, or at least thats my opinion.

4. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

It's been my experience that most people will make some sort of reference to not being a Master taxidermist. I think you can tell by some responses. Someone saying something looks good to them, when in fact a specimen may have some flaws is evident. I think that's how I would see it. :)

5. I get what you are saying, but it's a slippery slope and a near impossible feat with a subjective art-form on an internet based forum. You can get a pretty good idea by looking at their previous posts sometimes. I think with free advise you get what you pay for sometimes, just some people don't think for themselves enough to discern the good from the bad.

I had a professor once say to the class "always do your own research, never trust just one source". I've found it to be good advise in many ways.

6. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Post a picture of your work with your response........ :)

7. nina5150

This is so very true.more offen than not.also new poeple will follow a person thet dont know just for instant popularity wile stepping on otheres for no good reason or no reason at all.plain idiocy.research and think for your self.believe me,it is possible.new forum rule.all post must end with something positive said... ;D...no..ok just thought i would throw that out there..

8. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

When I started doing Taxidermy as well as raising the waterfowl I was steered in the wrong direction many times. In the end I had to learn the hard way and always wondered if it was deliberate or I just wasn't getting it, LOL!!
    Good advice is always helpful but no matter how much help one gets you still have to put it into practice and make it work for yourself.

9. nina5150

Very,very true as well.what work great for one might not work as easy for another.thats why i try to get as much info and techniques as i can and see what works best for me.like rolling epoxy rings for ducks and geese and getting the epoxy to stick wile working it around the eye.. :eek:....

10. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Good posts on the subject! I think everyone's right on.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would find it helpful when sorting out advise, to know where the person giving the advise is located, their age, and when they started doing taxidermy. It is possible that a 12yr old kid who started taxidermy last week could have better advise than a 59 year old who started 30yrs ago, but doubtful. Actually, advise is advise and worth consideration, however, that info would be nice, if only to know better the person giving the advice.

12. Countryisfun

Countryisfun Member

Midwest
    I'm still new here so I don't know how it works for sure, but if you click on someone's name it takes you to their profile. Doesn't that give you the location, and age? (Of course if they filed it out) But how long would be nice to see I can agree with that.

13. RedTx

RedTx Member

Matt what's the chances of doing that "roll call"? Maybe we could set it up like the tutorials where it's sorted by username. Just an idea, this was just a exercise of thought of how we could make things better. If we could make things better in the process that would be awesome

14. In a perfact world i would love to see the pros guys/girls rewarded some how for what they do on this site,even if it was a 50.00 dollar voucher from the supplies (spend in house )monthly voted by us .

15. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Please let me take part in this discussion, I will be 54 this year and I am hobby-taxidermist since I am 14. I am a waterfowl-friend since my youth and all my ducks have been done the same style : cut at the neck, clean the skull, apply clay to rebuild, wrap a body out of woodwool and finish. After drying they looked all the same, dark, shrunken bill and feet without any colour and sitting on a plate. Maybe 10 or 12 years ago this procedure changed because I found someone in the US, also a relative silent member in this forum, who I shared some birds with and who told me to use artificial heads and bodies. First I did not know how, because in Germany I never heard before about this method but then this man sent me a how-to-do advisory and my first already painted duck heads and I tried this method and it was absolutely great. Coming into this forum I spent a long time in front of my computer to study all the old posts and tutorials, printed some out but not all, because I could choose between what I like and what not and now, I am doing most of my artificial heads by myself, carving my bodies and using methods like injecting the feet, using airbrush or doing eye-rings, that have been shown here by some great people who share their knowledge with us for getting nothing than our " thank you very much for sharing " or " great tutorial " from us, but that is ok and they go on doing this.
    So, what I want to say is, choose what you like and what will work for you out of this big bunch of information but don´t make it personal, no one needs to accept the method of an other but in most cases it is very helpful and informative.
    On the other hand, to have a thread that is called " who am I " that will stay on top of this forum where our members can show a picture and tell personal things about their taxidermy - maybe private life would be very nice in my opinion.

Thanks, Rainer.

16. Very well put rai red,your up there with the pros and your imput is second to none on this site.

17. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You can "rate" forum members yourself by either looking at a members website or going to their profile and look back to see if there are photos of their work. A picture is worth a thousand words.

18. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

I think you could be on to something with that! It is easy to do the vetting if people have the little globe under their name leading to their website, but not everyone does. They really should do that on the game heads forum, I feel like there is a lot more folks on there giving advice that maybe should not be!

19. bananas!

bananas! Member

I really like this approach. Another take on it is to have the ability to vote on an answer similar to the way http://www.quora.com/ does it. Basically you vote on a response: "This answer is useful" or simply, "Agree". It's fast and can improve the quality of content on the board for everyone by highlighting the best answers.