1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bad Duck Smell Question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by MallardsFowlLife, Jan 14, 2015.

1. MallardsFowlLife

MallardsFowlLife Well-Known Member

Customer brought me three birds a few weeks ago. He lives less than five minutes from the WMA where he killed them and called when he killed them and when he put them in the freezer. Yeah he calls a lot when he kills ducks he wants to mount lol. Anyway they were killed and frozen within 2 hours. 2 pintails and a redhead. I caped them out last week and the hen pintail and the drake redhead both smelled rotten. Like gag a maggot kind of smell. Upwards of the vent, in the abdomen, the inside of the skin was a greenish color. Neither bird had shots on the abdomen and neither had feather loss or slippage. I thought maybe since they were killed next to the beach this could be the cause but I have done salty divers before that smelled like fish and this put that to shame. Pintail drake was normal and all mounted up just fine. What would cause this? Thanks in advance for any similar experiences or possible explanations.

2. akvz

akvz New Member

I've skinned out several redheads that have that same smell you're describing-- it's possible that the gut organs were ruptured from the shot, even if there wasn't a shot into the gut directly. I've also noticed this smell on a scaup that had NO fat on the skin. I've heard this is a form of lead poisoning from illegal shot, but since it's happened a few times (3 out of 30 something birds so far) I think it might also be a different form of poisoning, perhaps mercury poisoning from fish.

They're NASTY smelling, though, I have to agree. I feel like I have to sniff my maceration bins to get the smell out of my nose. Gross.