1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear rug help

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by R.J. Meyer II, Jan 15, 2015.

1. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Hi All, Had a life size bear skin commercially wet tanned and the client changed it to a rug. After deboarding the skin is way stiffer than a dry tan would have been. Does anyone have any suggestions about possibly oiling the leather to soften it up a bit before I pad and felt it.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It needs to get a bit hydrated and then broke to help soften it up. After the hydration you could use a 50/50 mix of warm water and oil to aid in softening it up.

3. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Thank You Frank.

4. Petergon

Petergon New Member

Get the water with the oil mi. Well get it bit hot and with a paint sprayer kind of pint the hide hanging upside down, of course you need a compresor… I am from Mexico and dont know if I explained well..

5. Bravesfan

Bravesfan New Member

Send it back to your tannery and have them run it through as a dry tan, if they are reputable they should work with you and just charge you a small handling/retanning fee. I have done this several times with no issues and you do not have to worry about oily hair like you would if you did it yourself.

6. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

http://trubondtanning.com/Taxidermy-Tanning-Kit-for-Wallhan…

Take a look at this link