1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Leaving brains in skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by justinxct, Jan 15, 2015.

1. justinxct

justinxct New Member

I do a lot of skull cleaning and I generally take the brains out with a small wire, tweezers and some water. It can be kind of time consuming when I'm cleaning a large number at once. I'm just reading on here now that you can leave the brain in and its good for the colony, can anyone explain this to me?
    I have a colony of a few thousand. They go through raccoons, bobcats, coyotes in 3-4 days. I'm not cleaning any deer sized skulls (yet)
    If anyone can shed some light on this or let me know of a quicker way to get them out.
    Thank you.

2. use the search and look up brain blaster you should come up with some designs, makes the job really easy. Rotting brains really stink and I think your colony might be to small for them.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I agree 100%! After removing a brain, there is always some residual brain tissue that bugs can feast on. Leaving the brains intact is an invitation for flies to be attracted to the specimen. A brain cavity full of maggots is not good in any colony.

4. justinxct

justinxct New Member

Thank you! Looks like i'll be making one of those this weekend!