1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird incision. Breast, or leg to leg?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Bradreit, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Bradreit

Bradreit New Member

I was taught to make incisions on birds down the breast to the anal vent. I've seen some folks making a leg to leg incision. My question is, why? Is one better than the other, or is there another reason?
    Thanks

2. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    Skin is less likely to tear. But hard to wire wings that way. As for the breast, there is no need to go down to the vent. Only as far as the breast plate before you hit the organ sack. Also you can go through the back and even through the wing pit. All have advantages. Try them and see what you like for different poses

3. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

read the post wolfgang's workshop. he is describing his skinning and mounting technique for standing waterfowl. This is one way.

4. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

leg to leg makes for a better,cleaner easier way to flesh the breast especially ducks, I skin all the way to heel and feet are pre injected painted sealed before ever mounting the duck ,turkey,goose .Just works better for me. Sewing is a bit challenging sometimes as I need to start at the heel ,but that is some of the toughest skin on a duck, or bird of any type.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Leg to leg on all large standing bird mounts. It is so nice to have the mannikin all set up in the pose I want before applying the skin. Flying turkeys get a breast incision.

6. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

No matter what method you use get used to it and learn to do it in your sleep.
    Each has it's purpose but any will work!!

7. Bradreit

Bradreit New Member

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. All very helpful.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Obviously wolfgang is correct, but I like the leg to leg for a multitude of reasons. As Alan states, I can wire the legs, pose them, let them dry and have them painted before I start on the bird itself. Wiring wings is really quite easy if you invert the skin on itself. You just wire them into the foam and continue rolling the skin back. I have the neck already mounted to the manikin and it holds the skin in place. Sewing is easier in that you never have to worry about misalignment on mottled birds or birds with changing color patterns. Most of all, with the foam forms, any semblance of fat not removed will puddle and bleed through ventral cut birds. With the leg cut birds, a paper towel fit over the lower belly will stop that and you never have to worry about stained breast feathers.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

I did leg to leg for years until recently, I'm finding the breast incision to be easier for me now, especially with turkeys.