1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st deer head need help

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bowhunter25, Jan 16, 2015.

1. bowhunter25

bowhunter25 New Member

I have a dry tan hide and want to mount it but I'm not sure on what all i need for supplies i know i need
    a manikin
    ears
    eyes
    but not sure on what else I need the only tools I have is a form stand so if someone can tell me what all i need and brand names of the stuff they use.. thanks

2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

The best thing you can do is first buy a good dvd like Rick Carters A to Z whitetail dvd and watch it at least 3 times before you start.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Ya, that.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Ricks dvd will teach you the right way to do EVERYTHING. No need for guessing and winging it by the seat of your pants unless you like wasting materials.

5. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

I too would buy Rick's video. To get started, things I would buy in addition to what you have are as follows:

Clay
    Critter clay
    Apoxie sculpt
    Modeling tools
    Safety solvent
    Hide paste (I like pro 1)
    Needle
    Strong thread
    Appropriate paints/modge podge
    Airbrush (unless you are using oil paints)
    Compressor
    Laquer thinner
    Stout ruffer
    Skife knife for final fleshing
    Bondo and hardenerhardener

I'm sure I probably missed something, but this should get you started.

Kevin

6. Bulldog 32

Bulldog 32 New Member

A little advice for you. Don't get in a hurry and buy a bunch of stuff. You can have all the materials you need and still spin your wheels in the mounting process, get frustrated by not knowing the procedures or doing them improperly and set yourself up for failure. I did this. The first thing you need to do is find a taxidermist that will give you a class. Yes this will by far cost more than DVD'S and all materials combined. Rick Carter is awesome and I have watched his dvd. It is great but Rick makes it look effortless. If you want to start doing quality work make the investment in a class you will be YEARS AHEAD then trying to learn without you being able to interact and ask for help. Don't want to see you struggle when you shouldn't have to

7. bowhunter25

bowhunter25 New Member

Thanks for all the advice I do have some DVDs but one more even better. Kevin that is a great list you gave me for a start and some of that stuff I have like the air compressor and air brush. Everybody has to start somewhere and when you don't have a clue what you're doing any help is great i'm interested in the products and stuff that everybody uses like I mentioned I have DVDs not sure if I have Rick's DVD but since you all suggested his DVD obviously that's the better choice to get the most knowledge thanks again any info is greatly appreciated

8. bowhunter25

bowhunter25 New Member

Thanks for all the advice I do have some DVDs but one more even better. Kevin that is a great list you gave me for a start and some of that stuff I have like the air compressor and air brush. Everybody has to start somewhere and when you don't have a clue what you're doing any help is great i'm interested in the products and stuff that everybody uses like I mentioned I have DVDs not sure if I have Rick's DVD but since you all suggested his DVD obviously that's the better choice to get the most knowledge thanks again any info is greatly appreciated

9. be still

be still New Member

Most inportant have fun with it. Through any failed experament somthing is learned.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

And do not, do not,,, do not,,,, expect the first one to be perfect, or lose sleep over it. The first one will be your worst one, the next one a little better, and so on. But the first one is just a crash test dummy mount for learning on. So don't use that big rack, or your best skin. Practice on a rack and skin that you don't care about.

11. Chupacabra84

Chupacabra84 New Member

Critter clay, hide paste, and don't forgot good, long pins!

Also agreeing with Low T, you just gotta take the plunge!! Buy as many materials as you can afford, and remember that it usually takes a few "practice" pieces before you really start to get it.

Did you skin the animal yourself? One thing I've learned since starting is how the quality of turning and thinning the ears/lips/eye lids can greatly impact your ability to reconstruct the facial features.

12. bowhunter25

bowhunter25 New Member

yes i skinned it then sent the hide out to be tanned they turned the ears. I don't expect the first one to be great but if it resembles a deer ill be happy. If I get that buck of a life time I will pay a pro the big buck$ but average size i will do myself

13. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Good long pins?