1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Inuit whale bone mask

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by adriane123, Jan 18, 2015.

1. I bought this item recently at an auction.
    It came with a piece of paper that read that this is an inuit whale bone mask. The white labrets are listed as walrus ivory, the feathers are goose.
    I followed the hand drawn directions on where to arrange the feathers and the "sticks".
    I did a search for whale bones masks with many results but found nothing like this one. Can anyone point me in a direction on any additional information? I'm very interested in finding more out about this piece.

Attached Files:

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Very different. I've seen other masks and carvings but not like that one. It is possible that this is an artists piece made for the tourist trade.

3. Have any knowledge on the legality? There's really no way to date the piece. And with it labeled as ivory and whale bone?

4. akvz

akvz New Member

Inuit and other Native American art bypasses ivory and marine mammal bone laws. Even if it's from a whale killed last week it would be legal to possess

5. oh wow really? even if I'm not myself an Alaskan native? It can legally be bought and sold anytime?

6. akvz

akvz New Member

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0177-buying-alaska-native-art
    http://www.atada.org/Art_and_the_Law.html

You can read about it here. I may be mistaken when I said other non-Alaskan tribes can sell carved or modified ivory. I do believe that all registered Native Americans can sell restricted species such as bear, cougar, and wolf parts if they have been integrated into art or crafts. Eagle feathers are still out of bounds to buy or sell.

7. Sea Wolf

Legal to buy as well as sell as long as you keep the paperwork with it. Native craft pieces have to "significantly" alter the raw piece to be sold. Yours has no issues with that. But if it has paperwork with it, do NOT lose it.

8. Might be OK in the US but when I was caribou hunting in Nunavit I was told that bringing back ivory/polar bear/whale parts to the US was not allowed.

9. akvz

akvz New Member

Are you talking about Native American art or just the raw stuff? The raw stuff isn't even allowed for natives, it has to be carved or modified. :) If it's about the crafts... then I'm sure it's an import/export issue and I have no experience with that.

10. Sea Wolf

True .. and not true. If you found something like a dead walrus and wanted to salvage the head and ivory, you can get it tagged. Polar bear and whale or any marine mammal other than that has to be made into something by a native. You can not bring home a polar bear hide .. but .. if it had a native done painting permanently on the back of it you could have.

11. I fell in love with the piece at the auction and had to have it. Luckily everyone else there commented on it being "creepy" so I won the bid.
    I don't plan on reselling it. But it's good to know, just in case.
    Thanks for the info guys.

12. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

It's a very unique piece. I have never seen anything like it at all. Do you know if it's modern or old? Is the piece or papers signed or dated? To me I would say it's fairly new but not knowing much about that sort of art I would have no idea.i tend to agree with Sea Wolf it seems like what would be labeled as a tourist piece not a ceremonial piece. It would be interesting to find out.