1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Post Best Water Habitats

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by JayWyatt, Jan 19, 2015.

1. JayWyatt

JayWyatt New Member

Hey y'all.

I'm working on a European type mount and part of it will have a stream running through it. It's a present for my husband.

Seeing pictures and what you used to make your water would be very helpful. I've never made water before and I want to get this right.

There will be ripples, splashes, and droplets in this habitat.

I'm not pulling up a bunch of results when I Google, but I'm on my phone so sure I'm not getting all the results.

Thank you!

2. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

You have very high ambitions for never doing water before. I can tell you from experience that it's not easy. The best advise I can give you is to order this dvd:

Creating an Artificial Water Splash
    http://www.fishcarver.com/ed_walicki_classroom_series_fish_carving_course.htm

There is an anatomy to a splash you need to learn about. In addition, the techniques vary for what you are trying to assemble.

[​IMG]

Here is some work I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck,
    Dan

3. That's awesome TX !!

4. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Wow tx! That's a sweet mount!
    I would be way too scared of pouring gloss all over the feathers like that lol. Did you pour the gloss til it touched the bird or are the birds removable?

5. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Covered the bird with plastic, poured the pieces over the wings and let dry. Removed plastic and splash then welded the splash back in place with more resin. No wet resin hit the birds. It would soak right into the feathers.

6. looks freakin awesome tx!

7. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

Awesome work Dan.

8. Tailchaser

Tailchaser New Member

Here are a few pics from a recent project. First I attached pieces to the acrylic rod that would support the bird until seamless.
    [​IMG]

Then I contuned to add pieces
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished Product
    [​IMG]

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

How is the drake attached to the acrylic rod?

10. Tailchaser

Tailchaser New Member

The rod tip was sharpened on belt sander. The rod was shoved into the foam body, removed, hot glue placed in the foam body rod hole and the rod reinserted.

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Thanks

12. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Another from me. Took this to the world show.

[​IMG]

A few close ups from the shop prior to completion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jessewild and JakeKrog like this.
  13. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Re: Post Best Water Habitats

That was an awesome piece!

I am working on my very first splash/water scene now. Might have it finished today. Will post pics when done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jessewild and Micah Howards like this.
  14. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    Looks nice Brooke, did you used the Frank Newmyer dvd or something else?

15. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Yes sir. But even with that and the Breakthrough Manual, it still took quite a bit of trial and error. The Breakthrough Manual has a chart of the amount of Catalyst to add to the amount of resin. Either the Catalyst has changed since they published it, or our humidity is bad on it cause I started our with their formula and it never set. Then I doubled it, and it never set. Then I tripled it and it never set. Long story short...they recommend 2 drops per ounce. I wound up getting it to work at 35 drops per ounce. At 35 drops per ounce of resin it gave me 12 minutes of work time before it gelled.

16. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

How did you go Dan at word show with you master peace? Really cool work

17. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

3rd in professional. I knew I was pushing things with that pose. Not as well as I would have liked, but for the world show I am not complaining.

18. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

Well done im shore you only lost half a point ;)

19. Not the best but they were fun to make
    [​IMG]
    Btw, I like your piece Dan, very cool!

20. [​IMG]