1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

*Urgent Advice Needed on Gray Fox*

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by FurFreak, Jan 20, 2015.

1. FurFreak

FurFreak New Member

(First of all, I was a previous member of this forum but I had to create a new account so this will be my first post on this new account) I Just started a mount yesterday for a customer that I have been excited to do. Its a gray fox leaping at a flying pheasant. I skinned out the fox but when I began splitting the tail I noticed that a lot of the longer guard hairs were extremely loose and under further investigation a good portion of the guard hairs all over the body are very loose as well. This fox hasn't even been fully thawed yet and it was placed in the freezer the same night as it was taken earlier this season. I don't know why it is happening, I just need to know the best way to fix it. I was considering using stop rot. I haven't done anything else with the hide, I immediately put it back in the freezer because it was still half frozen. Should I salt and pickle it before ordering anything to see if the salt will lock the hairs in place? Any Help would be greatly appreciated, I have been fortunate enough to never experience slipping before, but the fur is not coming out in giant clumps or anything, not yet anyway. :p

p.s. Has anyone done a leaping gray fox? I had a hard time finding a form so I used a Hendricks Descending form and modified it because the angle of the fox is different than the usual leaping fox. I will post pictures of the finished product if I can get out of this pickle! :-[

2. I would carefully skin it, applying DA as I went. Salt it with a fan on it overnight, then get it in the pickle.

3. juli

juli Active Member

What time of year was this fox taken?

Someone just mentioned on another thread that they put small mammals whole into the pickle solution when they are thawing them...

4. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

It was probably placed in a bag and put in the freezer before the body heat cooled down. The bag trapping the body heat inside. That could be the only explaination for it to be slipping after being placed in the freezer so fast
    Tim gave you good advice
    You won't know if it's gonna turn out until it's tanned

5. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

The fox is skinned so throwing it in the pickle might work, I never tried that on a hide that was slipping.