1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail Deer articulation - here we go again! (UPDATE POST)

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by flintlough, Jan 20, 2015.

1. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    A couple of years ago I did a Whitetail Deer full articulation thinking it would be a one time experiment. It didn't work out that way. I've kind of gotten hooked. Initially I was on another website and got a random message from Sea Wolf suggesting I try T.net (thank you very much :) ). This site is much better. Since then I have been studying the process, and the extensive knowledge of the members on this site has been very helpful. For me this is just a hobby right now. Can't say what the future holds.

Last weekend I took this buck. In years past I would have taken him in to be shoulder mounted like always. Not this year. Whitetail Deer are such graceful creatures. I just couldn't resist giving it another try. My hunting buddies think I'm a little tweaked.

[​IMG]

I want to be more thorough with this project. The hyoid apparatus is one area I want to give more attention. So that's where I am starting. Here is the dissection, both in situ and alone. I realize to some of the members this may seem elementary, however to others it may prove helpful and interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have already done a rough fleshing of the rest of the carcass; so the process begins.... Since this isn't my real job, it will likely take a long time to finish. I have a few ideas on how it may end up but it's all in flux.

I'll post updates as able. Any input is appreciated. I have thick skin. :)

Flint

************************************************************************************************************

Well, it took a bit longer to finish this project than I thought it would.

Like I mentioned at the start of this post, I wanted to pay special attention to the hyoid apparatus on this articulation. Here is the apparatus laid out in pieces during the cleaning process.

[​IMG]

Here is the apparatus installed onto the underside of the skull.

[​IMG]

I decided to do this articulation on "The Half-shell". This is a technique detailed in Lee Post's "The Moose Manual". (I know that many of you are familiar with his work. For those that want to get into articulation, his manuals are excellent!) This technique allows stability and doesn't take up as much space as a full body mount.

Instead of making it a straight cut half body mount, I decided to turn the neck and head outward to give it more interest. Here is the mounting board I used during the articulation process.

[​IMG]

Anatomical accuracy was important to me but I also wanted to make it artistically interesting. Plus, to give it a special twist, I decided to make it functional also by making it into a gun rack.

Here is the process of the skeletal placement into the final piece.

[​IMG]

I had his hide tanned and mounted him against it. It can either stand on top of another piece of furniture or hang on the wall. I think it turned out pretty good.
    I hope you guys enjoy it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. akvz

akvz New Member

Re: Whitetail Deer articulation - here we go again!

The hyoid apparatus is a great reference for a project I'm working on... Thanks! Good luck with your articulation. I can't be of much help though I will be articulating some deer feet and a deer upper body soon for the first time, so I can try to give you some help along the way. Maybe what grade of wire, etc...

3. nina5150

nina5150 Active Member

Why didnt you cape out that beautiful deer and sale it to cover your cleaning/degreasing/whitening/articulation supplies cost instead of wasting it?

4. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas

No worry Nina :) I carefully skinned the rest of the deer and am having it tanned. I also carefully butchered it without marring the bones as best I could. I love venison!

5. carlabrauer

carlabrauer Quality bone cleaning with dermestid beetles

That will be quite a project! Definitely keep us posted.

6. Hungry Bear

Hungry Bear New Member

Very cool. would love to see pics once you complete it.

7. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    post updated

8. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

That's unbelievable!!! Beautiful presentation too! Thank you for the update!

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

That is an incredible job. Well done and well thought out. Something you can be very proud of.

10. akeenz1

akeenz1 New Member

This is absolutely INCREDIBLE. The finished project is simply astounding, and I'm very jealous. If I could ever get my hands on a 100% intact deer carcass, I'd love to attempt a full body articulation. It'd be the challenge of a lifetime but so worth it.

11. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    Thanks guys for the feedback. This project was a lot of work and contemplation but a lot of fun also! I'm already thinking about what may be next.....

12. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

I like it .

13. Fantastic. Beautiful and Creative. !!!

14. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Is that the old Bateman book on the top shelf?

15. That looks amazing! I would never have the patience to do one. Scraping and boiling all that meat off, I just couldn't do it. You did an awesome job, congratulations!

16. Very Nice!! Great job!

17. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    Seawolf - Sharp eyes! Yes, the book is by Joseph Bateman, copyright 1971.

Simms - Thanks! After careful butchering and fleshing, I macerated him until all the soft tissue fell off. Then I degreased the skeleton with dawn and hot water. Never boiled him, didn't want to weaken the bone or cook the grease in. Still, it represents a lot of work though.

18. akeenz1

akeenz1 New Member

As someone who's currently degreasing using warm water+Dawn (fish tank heater method), how long did it take you to do the whole carcass (or, rather, the half you used)? I have a couple of deer femurs lying around, and, after a years now, they've gotten incredibly greasy.

Also, did you deliberately choose to make a "half" body articulation so it could lie against the stand, or was that just a very clever way of getting around any potentially destroyed shoulder bones on the other side due to being shot? (Hope this isn't too big of an assumption--I can't imagine many other ways one could kill a wild deer, unless you're a bow hunter.)

19. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    akeenz1 - I had the idea before I took the deer. The "half-shell" makes a stable and space efficient mount. I wanted to show his left side so I purposely shot so the right shoulder would take the most damage. I did break one rib on the left but they are easy to repair, as are most bones, if you have all the parts.

I do these projects so infrequently that I still use the fish tank heater method too, as you described. Takes months, but it's fine with me. I do have a couple of other carcasses in mind to do, so I've started planning for a little more efficient system with a proper heater and thermostat.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

20. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Excellent display..What a unique idea.