1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is everyones favorite Airbrush

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by tmpatton22, Jan 21, 2015.

1. I currently have a badger that I bought from Michaels and it said that it was great for taxidermy on the box but I have a terrible time with it clogging. I use Life Tone lacquer airbrush paints which are pretty thin already, do I need to thin them more? Ive had about enough of having to mess with my airbrush for 10 or 15 minutes every time I go to use it.

With that being said perhaps Im not cleaning it well enough between uses. I typically run some water through it then use paint thinner or acetone for the final cleaning. I'm looking into getting a new airbrush so I am interested to know what you all prefer airbrush wise.

Also any advice on cleaning would be good as well.

Thanks.

2. juli

juli Active Member

Water to clean? I have never heard of that for cleaning lacquer based paints off... (even if followed by lacquer)

Do you have a moisture trap on your compressor? I use Paasche ...

3. No I don't have a moisture trap on my compressor. It just seems like no matter what I use to clean the airbrush out I cant get all of the residual paint out then that remaining paint gums up and is near impossible to get out. I even bought a airbrush dvd and it doesn't say how to clean the airbrush, all it says is to use the appropriate cleaner but it never says what it is. I went to badgers website and to see if they had anything listed and I couldn't find anything. but I'm about to switch to a different brand because I am fed up.

4. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

IWATA

5. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

X2 as Rick has said.....

6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

:D my choice

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

After spending time at Brett DeFrietas's I went to what he uses. Harbor Freight. 20psi thin with retarder and run lacquer thinner after use and my problems went away. I don't do fish but for everything else like turkey heads they have been great. I have an Thayer & Chandler T81 Omni 6000 Airbrush that costs about $120.. I use my Harbor Frieghts instead. $20.

8. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I'm horrible about cleaning my brush throughly. I started shooting WD-40 through my brush before I put it away, then rinse with alcohol right before next use. I use water based. Problems have disappeared. Shoots like new every time. If it begins acting up while in use (only happens on fish - prolonged use) I repeat the process and I'm good to go again.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I too, use a harbor freight air brush. I bought several and figured I'd just throw it away when it no longer worked. After several years with the same brush, I tripped on the air hose ripping it out of it's stand and landed it on the floor and then accidentally stepped on the air brush when I fell back and bent the heck out of it. I used one of the others for the rest of the week. I bent the old one back to a close proximally and have used it for several more years even though it is still slightly bent. It blows all of my Paache's away. I don't even know where they are anymore. Probably the best $20 I've spent. I don't do fish and do 2 or 3 turkey heads a year and I don't do a huge amount of game heads, so that might be why it has lasted so long.

10. First go to Rick Kranes site at Anglers Artistry and watch his free video on proper cleaning of an airbrush. Same principle applies to any brand.

Second, if your using lacquer stop running water through it, that could be causing some gumming. If you are using water based, keep flushing with water and then dunk the whole thing in a bowl of water and back flush.

Lastly, try a few drops of retarder in your cup with the paint. It made a big difference in my use to prevent clogs.

I use a Paasch Millenium, Paasche V something for detail work and the HF for game heads. HF as stated is a diamond in the rough and a very good airbrush that is dependable with routine cleaning.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. capnmike

capnmike New Member

I have paashe and iwata and I use the harbor freight brush.

12. I've used several over the years. I keep coming back to my trusty old Paache single-action one. I use water-based paints and will leave the end of the airbrush in a jar/cup of water after cleaning. Seems to help a lot to do that. The reason I like it, is because it is an external mix, meaning the air comes out the end and mixes with the paint, instead of mixing internally.

13. Thank you everyone for the good tips and advice. I will definitely check out that cleaning how to video and I may have to make a trip to harbor freight if I cant get this straightened out. I think that the Badger I have was about $150 so I hate not being able to use it, but if it doesn't get the job done its no good to me. Thanks again, have a great weekend.

14. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Iwata! I love the HP-SB Plus

Designed for moderate to detail use w/ acrylic paints, side cup can be moved from L or R and swiveled to paint 360*. I usually clean them once a year. Best all-around Taxidermy brush I have ever used.

Jeff

15. Talon, beats the $400. Iwata hands down. The big deal is you must have dry air, did I say dry air, well yes dry air.

A moisture trap at the tank, then you need another trap near the airbrush, I have a five gallon tank at the end of the hose and it too has an moisture trap, dry air.

If your air hose runs across the room, even with a trap at the tank some moisture will condense in the hose, even worse if that room is slightly cool. So I put a pvc 120 schedule line in from the air compressor across the shop, I also put a drop in to drain the line once a week, and I still use the portable tank at the end of the air hose and that same portable tank has a moisture trap.
    In the line from the portable tank to the air brush or gloss gun I also put in a filter to trap any and all dirt or rust and additional mositure

16. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I have one of those and it works pretty good.

Here is the issue...you need to learn your brush. They all act differently and you need to figure out what works with them. I have the following airbrushes that I have owned over the years.

Old Badger Double Action
    Aztec
    Paashe H
    Paashe VL
    Badger Renegade Velocity
    Harbor freight $20 special

They all have their good and bad points, but if someone said I have to choose ONE...it would be the Paashe H. Simple, durable and works best of them all with acrylics IMO. The only drawback is that extremely fine detail is not very easy to achieve with it.

17. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

My favorite is a clean one.... ;D... I have Badgers, Iwata, and a Paasche. I have had some trouble with the Badgers clogging up. Got a few tips from Paul Borkowski on cleaning them which helped. He told me never to clean with alcohol if you use waterbased paints, as it gums it up.
    I like the Paasche for almost never clogging on me and super easy to keep clean. My go to brush for sure. Ole reliable. I keep an H1 tip on that which gives me plenty of latitude on the fish I do. I do like the Iwata a little better than the badger for detail work just because it's a little more user friendly. Not knocking the Badger, just going by own personal use. A lot of my detail work is by hand too.....