1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by MallardsFowlLife, Jan 21, 2015.

1. MallardsFowlLife

MallardsFowlLife Well-Known Member

Had my best buck mounted several years ago by a taxidermist and after getting into this myself a few years ago, I couldn't stand to look at it anymore. I tore it apart for the remount and the guy that did it used mache to build up the rear of the skull and brain. When I took it apart there was green mold everywhere on the top of the mache. Has anyone else run into this or was the deer just mounted while the cape was soaking wet? Just to clarify the deer has been inside the house since I picked it up, so no overly humid conditions on my part. I was really wanting to know as I starting using McKenzie's fast set mache for rebuilding my deer. The original cape was dry preserved and there wasn't much mold on it except for that area.

2. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

My guess is that it was mounted before the mache had dried and the hide kept the moisture in.

3. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I mount the antlers on the day before I add the cape, allowing extra time for the mache to completely dry.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Should dry regardless, clay is wet if that's what some use for ear butts and on skull cap, and clay does get mold on it when still in bag. Who knows what goes on under the skin when its drying. That's why I like to speed up drying with a fan.

5. Exactly why you should use BONDO, Bondo will not mold.