1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

As Usual, Could Use Some Advice

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tarponfan, Jan 21, 2015.

1. tarponfan

tarponfan Member

Happy New Year, folks - I have a couple smallmouth that are just about ready for paint, never painted one before - I know what I am going to do on the back and sides but am clueless about getting a nice look on the belly - most of our local smallies have a greyish looking belly with maybe some very small black spots, maybe some white on the border going up to the side - does anybody have some "painting for dummies" advice ? Thanks !!

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Use some charcoal powder for the smokey look on the bellies and lower head. You can mist and layer airbrush colors as well. Have fun!

3. tarponfan

tarponfan Member

I'm thinking that charcoal (graphite) will give me just what I'm looking for ! Thanks.

4. Steve.J

Steve.J Member

Don't use graphite. Make sure you get charcoal. They are not the same. Graphite will cause a big mess.

5. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

How so?

6. tarponfan

tarponfan Member

Tried out the charcoal this morning on an old throwaway largemouth mount - worked GREAT ! was able to get just the look I was after including a peppery finish - have enough charcoal sticks to last for about 400 years, so no need to even think about anything else. Gotta say, Taxidermy.net is really terrific - a place where somebody who does this for a hobby (like me) can get advice (for free) from folks who really know what they are doing - thanks again !