1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question on a form. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bucksmith, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Bucksmith

Bucksmith Member

Hey guys/gals,

Got a customer who iam doing a full floor pedestal on a nice early season bow kill. She wants the 6900 pedestal but wants the head changed to looking down about 3-4".....now i have mounted lots of deer but have not had any experience with altering forms...i know that would be the easiest route....with that being said, is there a tutorial on this anywhere or would someone care to share process? I have searched on here and found some altering tutorials but not for changing head up > to head down.

Option B- does anyone know of a form out there that would be comparable to what I described? ive seen alot of the head down forms but they tend to be more aggressive in pose..... im thinking a standard semi sneak head down is what we want but im not seeing alot of these out there..... Ive seen the mckenzie 64D but they didnt like it...any suggestions on head down forms out there would be appreciated.

Ive looked at mckenzie, meder, mears, OTS, revolution.....havent found quite what im looking for yet.

Thanks,
    chris

2. Head Hunter

Head Hunter Member

It is pretty easy to do the form alteration you are describing. You will want to cut a wedge out in the neck just below the head. It will be cut thicker in the throat side and thinner in the back of the neck side. When you cut the head off initially you can hold it next to the neck and see how thick you need to cut to get the right amount of head tilt that you are wanting.Then you simply turn the wedge around to put the thicker side of the wedge at the back and the thinner side in front at the throat. Then bondo the pieces back together. You MUST make sure that the cuts are equal on both sides or this can cause your head to tilt sideways. You may have to rasp some edges down and/or build some areas back up with clay or other material. Hope this helps!

3. Bucksmith

Bucksmith Member

Thats pretty much what i "thought" would be done , but thats great info Head Hunter. Thanks for that!

4. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Good luck getting an early season cape on that giant of a form.

5. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

As with any alteration, study the way the skeletal system moves, and replicate it. On your alteration, locate the location of the atlas joint on your form. This is the pivot point, and it never changes. Now add or remove material to get the desired position, pivoting on this axis. Use reference photos if live deer to see how and where the skin "bunches" in this position. Good luck!