1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ear Openers....In NEED

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by RWTAXIDERMY, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Ok about every two years I break these cheap aluminum Jonas ear openers...surely someone has something more durable on the market by now....any suggestions anyone?

2. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    The only time I have broken mine was when I slammed them up on the wall for blowing a hole threw my comp piece. Lol now but not at the time.

3. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I have cast aluminum ones from mckenzie... the pivot breaks and I just put a nut and bolt through it loosly. Better than ever.

4. I just bought the Ear Wizard, while it is more expensive then the then the ones you are speaking of. I was reluctant to spend the money but after using it was a great investment and works great! Love mine.

5. Do you ever notice some ears open easier then others.? A little trick I learned from the Ben Mears deer head video. After skinning past the ear butt and about 1/4 way up the ear cartilage start to leave ALL the ligament's and connective tissue on the skin side of the ear. Then with your thumb and fingers you can open the ear like butter. I hardly use ear openers any more and no more tears or blowouts. Shave your earskin after tanning using a baseball bat for a fleashing beam, it fits nicely. Andrew

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Next pair of the "cheap" Jonas ones you get, just saw off about 3 inches of the tong ends (not the grip ends). Then take a belt sander and sand them down to about half their width and snub the points. You'll find that it opens ears much easier since you're using a fulcrum force better. The way they're designed is that you have a fat man on the other side of the see-saw. It takes as much energy to grip the handles as the tong exert on the ear. Shortening those tongs increases the energy expelled by the grips.

7. jk

jk Active Member

George, great tip to shorten them. However, I would imagine you have to be even more careful to avoid blowing them out. After 20 years of taxidermy I have never broken an ear opening tool but have blown out a number of ears. I have found that as deer get older they are harder to open. Young and early season deer are easy. Older, later season deer with scaring can cause problems. Mule deer are definitely on the problematic side. Have looked at the ear wizard but do not have one, may have to try one. "Time is Money", that refers to turning ears as well as fixing them!
    J

8. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

"Fat man on the see saw"! That was PRICELESS.

Ear Wizard here. Works awesome.

9. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    Re: Ear Openers....In NEEDt

I was gonna buy the Ear Wizard but $150 was a little steep. Got innovative and made my own with a foot pedal and cable system. I just put the existing hand openers in my setup and save wear and tear on my hands!

10. George

Jk, the reason ears are blown is that 90% of taxidermists don't know how to use them. Once you open the earbutt, lay the openers on their sides and let the tongs move toward the edges. When you get near the edges, pull the openers and use your hands. Its been years since I blew a flea bitten or rubbed ear because I use my fingers and a scalpel when I see that first hair pull through, I use the scalpel and shave the cartilage.

11. George I guess I'm in luck...its always one jaw that breaks off about 3 inches, the rivet holding the pair together is always first to go.....I will cut the other side and grind it down and see how well I like them...thanks

12. I have the some ear wizard tools ready to go. This is the best ear opening tool on the market. 150.00 pay pal preferred, but other payments can be arranged. Great for people with arthritis. Check the 3 videos on you tube, just search ear wizard. I have sold over 200 Pm me or call Call 1-717-762-1103 Thanks Gary

13. The 150 includes postage anywhere in the US, plus sales tax on PA customers

14. agla0047

agla0047 Member

WV
    I have a slightly used ear wizard here that I have opened up maybe 30 ears with I will let go for $100 plus priority mail shipping. I can take PayPal if you would like. Let me know I just grab my Jonas openers most of the time

15. Big Tine

Big Tine have a great day

The ear wizard is awesome!!i can open the up in 30 seconds

16. tem

tem Well-Known Member

my grip was going. it was getting harder and harder to use the hand ones. I lucked out and found an ear wizard for $50.00. love it. :)

17. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

Has anyone tried the "ratcheting ear tool" that Joe Coombs sells? I've had a couple of ladies take my class recently and both have had trouble using the standard ear opener.

I've watched the video for these and for the ear wizard and both seem like viable options for anyone having trouble using a standard opener. I see here where several of you have high praise for the ear wizard but I would also like to hear from anyone that has used the ratcheting tool as well. It cost $65 where the wizard is around 150.

18. George

It's still an issue of leverage folks. I made my own decades ago. I used 1/2 rod stock. The handles are 9 inches long bast the fulcrum and the tongs are less than 5. The round stock allows easier access to the ear and can be turned on the sides much easier. I'm sure the Ear Wizard works well, but I trust my hands better.

19. tem

tem Well-Known Member

speaking of hands, is why I got the ear wizard. now I can use both hands to hang on and to move the ear around wile I open them up.

20. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Just a quick thought, use em to begin the opening process in the middle section of the ear most of the way up. Be careful with thise things very easy to blow out an ear. Anyway after beginning with the openers, lay em down, dont use them anymore. Flip the ear inside out, throw some borax on it, to get a grip on the hide and cartilage, and put your index finger in the hair side, thumb out side. Carefully push and pull the hide apart from the cartilage, this way you can feel how far the ear is opened from the hair side with your index finger., less risk of a blowout. Completely worth the extra work in my opinion.