1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coyote "bathing" question.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by WildArt2013, Jan 22, 2015.

1. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Okay so getting ready to start a coyote. Its frozen whole, up until now Ive just done gameheads and hopefully this will be a decent experience. Lets hope. Anyhow I know coyotes to be nappy little critters and am wondering when and with what should i wash this guy in. Should I wash him right after skinning or after fleshing salting etc. And whats a good formula to prevent slippage and high ph while washing. Appreciate any responses.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If I feel the need to wash critters, such as blood, crap or mud, I do it before skinning. I use dawn dish soap, rinse well and I let them drip dry and then finish drying them with air. Typically they get washed in the during the degreasing step in the tanning process, so not all need washing before that.

3. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Thanks, its a neck wound so alot of blood.

4. Jake L

Jake L New Member

X2 on washing before skinning...then blow excess water out of the hide with compressed air...after tanning I wash the hide with a high quality shampoo & conditioner...it does wonders for the finished product...just my way