1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help w first antler reproduction?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by trophycase, Jan 22, 2015.

1. trophycase

trophycase Active Member

Customer wants ME to do his cast of his antlers. Never done an entire rack. What reccomendatiins for materials and how do I go about doing it? Any and all help is appreciated. Thx in advance

Kt

2. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I am new to casting too. But for the small rack I did I used Dragon-Skin for the mold and smooth-cast 320 for the pour. This can get expensive if you were going to do a very large rack, I have a thread with all the comments & help I got from members...

Look in the Molding & casting section for "First casting of antlers" Good luck!

I learn alot about casting and how to make the mother mold and hard mold for the rack.

3. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

It's a long road to learning. ... I've been going at it for a couple years now and still dragging. Forget the 320 unless you want a flexible piece of plastic. ... no offense woakley but it is what it is. I just did my last pour with it and I had better luck with my resin concoction before. Of you want it to be as heavy and feel like a real antler. .send it out and tell him you did it. Customer doesn't need all the details. If your hell bent then start researcHing. ....I mean really go at it. There are taxidermy today issues that cover simple one or two time use molds. I'm pulling the trigger soon to go train the correct way. ... or at least a way that allows top make a better finished piece.

4. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

josh What do you recommend for casting resin???? This is what everyone that I have talked to and have been shown how to cast uses..... Thanks

5. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

I'm working on that nice end result. ... what I recommend is in my post above. Like I said... with 320 you will have a nice piece of plastic. ... about half the weight and real flexible. There are other mediums out there.... you just have to look and do some research.

6. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Ie 3030 is a start

7. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Contact Polymer Guy on here. He'll set you up with some stronger stuff to try if you are interested. His company makes the IE3030. Check out the post titled "tensile strength In antlers."
    Best, Scott

8. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Yeah that was my post lol... it got me a sample that I'm using today actually. .. but I'm adding to that as well.

9. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I am aware. Happy casting.

10. deermount

deermount New Member

go on line and look for pour a kast it is a little flexible it works good remember its a cast not bone.

11. Send me a PM. Happy to help. Josh is on the right track for sure and doing great work. Thanks 1fish2fish for the plugs.