1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mount just completed

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by TomR, Jan 25, 2015.

1. TomR

TomR New Member

Please take a look and provide feedback if you wish. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. TomR

TomR New Member

Here are two more photos

Attached Files:

3. Guttbag22

Guttbag22 Member

Get some good reference

4. There is quite a bit going on with the mount. The good news is you got a skin on a form and it resembles a deer. Some things I see are one ear is mounted a lot higher than the other ear. You have too much clay in the front corner of the eyes.. Take that skin and push it down to the form and then taxi the skin around to make it right. Take a look at pictures of a live deers eyes and you will notice. The nose looks like it has some shrinkage or the skin was just left loose. That skin needs to be pulled up to cover more of the nostril wings. And all the little white hairs should be on the inside of the nose. When you look at it from head on you should just see nose pad. The next thing is the lower lip needs to be tucked in more. The last thing I will touch on is that armpit. You have it up on the side of the shoulder. Where that hair pattern change is should be right on the front of the leg. And all the whiter hair in the armpit. Take a while and study reference before your next one. The best piece of advice I've gotten is, practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. You can keep mounting them but if your continually doing things wrong, you will start thinking it's right. You will be doing yourself good to study, study, study reference. disect certain parts, work on the front corner of eye until you get it right then move to the upper lid, then the back corner, and so on. Keep at it, you should see an improvement on every one.

5. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

A lot of things need work. Start with Rick Carter's a-z deer video and get lots of live deer reference pictures.

6. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

The very first thing that caught my eye was your eye shape. Look at close up pictures of different areas of a deer and compare to yours on the next one you mount.