1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Visual aid needed...

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by SouthrnChrmer450, Jan 26, 2015.

1. I'm working on my first red fox. I've got her skinned, eyes and lips split, and she's in the pickle. I was wondering if anyone had any pics of what a properly fleshed, split, and thinned nose would look like on a red if I were planning to use the real nose? I'm having trouble knowing the boundaries, especially around the wings of the nostrils...I'm afraid I'm gonna cut something off that I'm not supposed to. I'm planning brush the tan on her tonight (Trubond)...I can still do a final thinning on the tanned hide, right?

Thanks in advance!

2. juli

juli Active Member

I don't have photos for you, but noses (especially small mammals) can be very tedious. Take your time and try to split the wings to the very edge. I often will use a pencil or a small sharpened dowel to thin the nose pad down. Just remember, it is easier to leave on too much and trim later, then to cut something off early on and realize after the fact that you needed it. :)

3. Thanks juli! I've thought about it, and being a beginner, I may just end up using an Easy-Set face change-out head with the artificial nose on it. I think that's gonna save me a ton of frustration, until I can get more practice on these predator noses. ;)

4. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Good nose to practice on. If you mess it up you can still trim it for the Easy-Set or go over the artificial nose and have the interior details. Yes , thinning is easier after tanning. I put the nose over a rounded post, flesh up and trim with a scalpel. Then thin with an 80 grit sanding block. Same for the eyes and lips.

5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    This is some of the work on the nose of an African Wildcat. It's all the same where these kinds of noses are concerned. Hope this helps ...

The head skin after soaking. Notice the puckered appearance of the nose pad.
    [​IMG]

The nose skin on the flesh side ... un-turned, un-split, and generally un-loved!
    [​IMG]

One of the nostril wings split and turned to its extreme edge.
    [​IMG]

The base of a round file, up through the nostril skin, allowing the flesh side to be thinned. Sometimes any tool will do!
    [​IMG]

After turning and fleshing the nose pad appears smooth, and plump while held over my finger.
    [​IMG]

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dana, don't think that Easy Set face is going to work any better. Still today, I find that mating that artificial nose into the hide seamlessly is a lot more difficult than using the techniqe John is depicting there. You will have to do it one day, so why not today?

7. Thanks guys! I never got around to tanning it...it's still in the pickle, so I just may go ahead and give it a shot and see what I can do as far as fleshing it and turning it the right way. The advice and pictures provided are super helpful. Thanks again!

8. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Dana, have to agree with George. A regular artificial nose can be challenging. The EASY SET is must easier. If you search YOUTUBE EASYSET NOSE it should pull up an 8 minute clip from my dvd. I think it shows trimming , thinning,etc. along with how the nose works. Either way you choose , the DVD should help with the basics. Let me know...... Brian