1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

inexpensive beginner fleshing machine

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Genestanfield, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Genestanfield

Genestanfield Lake of the Ozarks Outdoorsman

anyone have suggestions for inexpensive fleshing machine for a beginner

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

A necker knife and beam.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Another inexpensive option is a sharpened spoon and a tree branch. Remove the bark and ............ If you go cheap now, you will be spending more money later on a better one. Why not just save your money, be patient and get something you will love that is easy to set up and easy to use. I was doing 2 to 5 deer heads a year and a few lifesize when I bought mine and don't regret it. I spent a lot of money on it and it was considered to be up there with the best at the time. I found it easy to justify taking out a loan to get it. On the other hand I couldn't justify not buying the expensive one.

4. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I'll go even cheaper. A 5" blade victorinox and your hand as your beam. I've fleshed a lot of deer capes that way.

5. juli

juli Active Member

I would guess laketrapper already has a beam and fleshing knife. :) well, he does trap, so that is an educated guess. BTW, I really enjoy seeing the pix of your kids with the fur take. :)

I have no suggestions for a wheel - I use beam - and I have two different knives.. one custom made by a friend that is very sharp, and a cheapo necker knife. :) Perhaps one of these days I will get a round knife... but I actually like fleshing on the beam.... LOL

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

VanDykes are the cheapest, the Pro is their top of line, not cheap. No cheap machines, knife and beam are cheap.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you are just fleshing meat and fat off, I use a draw knife on a beam and yep, a buddy of mine uses a sharpened spoon on a tree branch that he did up into a beam. To thin leather is what I use the machine for.

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Watch the for sale section and you will see them for sale there occasionally. They're used, but still good.

9. jwilson48

jwilson48 New Member

i just listed a dakota iv for sale in the classifieds so i would recommend it ;)

10. lrc1492

lrc1492 Member

I love those necker knifes