1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Duck feet

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Branden, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Branden

Branden Member

I'm having trouble getting the paint to stick to the legs an feet. It just wants to flake off!! Anyone know the reason?? It's the polytranspar water based airbrush paint

2. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Did you inject the feet with Master Blend ?.......if so, while you are injecting you need to wipe the fluid off of the outside of the feet, continually wiping them clean until the injection holes stop leaking.

3. Branden

Branden Member

Yea that's kind of what I was thinking it is.. Could you wipe it down with thinner that should help.. I appreciate the help

4. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

When I made that mistake I had to carefully scrape the shiny film off. Perhaps others have some better advise.

5. Branden

Branden Member

Thanks again it gets pretty stressful when u are learning from scratch

6. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

acetone and an old toothbrush will clean off about everything known to mankind. A good primer coat not heavy just even ,,make sure your foot is thoroughly dry first.

7. hearn2424

hearn2424 Member

Lacquer thinner, dry and then prime with FP220 Fungicidal Sealer, paint and brush on mod podge let dry. Do the same with bills.

8. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

When I inject Masters Blend, I drop the foot into a jar of acetone until the MB kicks. I then card the feet for a couple days until they are dry. At that point, I clean the feet with acetone, let it dry , and then seal with a couple coats of Krylon matte. Then, I begin painting. I have never had great luck with Polytranspar water-based paint. I use Wildlife Colors and it works great.